[SOLVED] Upgrading from Ryzen 1200 to 3600 on B350?

dudewithnobrain

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
My friend wants to upgrade from his Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 3600 on his ASRock AB350M board. Is this possible, or will he need a BIOS update beforehand? Along with this, should he upgrade from his stock cooler or go for something like a Hyper 212 Evo from Cooler Master? I'm much more used to Intel sockets and boards, but not AMD processor specs.

Solution
As for bios update, you will need one.

As for cooler make sure im correct, but im pretty sure the cooler that came with the 1200 is the same as the one that comes with the 3600. unlike intel, amd has much better stock coolers, and also more kinds, a different one for different levels of cpus.

you should replace it if you want to overclock (though i wouldnt recommend it on that board)
but the stock cooler should be fine for stock applications, with some new thermal paste.
As for bios update, you will need one.

As for cooler make sure im correct, but im pretty sure the cooler that came with the 1200 is the same as the one that comes with the 3600. unlike intel, amd has much better stock coolers, and also more kinds, a different one for different levels of cpus.

you should replace it if you want to overclock (though i wouldnt recommend it on that board)
but the stock cooler should be fine for stock applications, with some new thermal paste.

Reactions: dudewithnobrain
Solution