Question Upgrading from Ryzen 1700 to 3950X, and using two RAMs cause to stuck in POST loop

Dec 10, 2019
As title says, I'm trying to upgrade CPU from ryzen 7 1700 to ryzen 9 3950X.

Here is the spec (other than CPUs):
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4
RAM: 2 x XPG GAMMIX D10 (16GB, 3000MHz)
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G
PSU: Cooler Master V750
SSD: Micron 1300 2TB

However, when I try to use 3950X with two RAMs - It went stuck into POST loop. Mobo's Dr.Debug shows '33' each time before the power goes off.
None of the two DIMM slot combinations worked for me, but when I try with only single RAM, it boots up normally. Also, I tried "downgrading" my CPU to old 1700, and it boots up normally even with two RAMs (both single and dual channel).

I have read similar threads and tried mostly everything:
BIOS Update. Tried with BIOS P5.50, and even beta version BIOS P5.70. Both same results.
CMOS Reset. Did it and results were same.
Check for CPU pin bent. No bents on CPU or Mobo's socket, at least that's what it looks like for me.
Too much pressure on CPU socket. Tried reseating cooler with less pressure or even without it. Still the same results.

I'm running out of ideas on what to do. Any ideas?

As title says, I'm trying to upgrade CPU from ryzen 7 1700 to ryzen 9 3950X.

Here is the spec (other than CPUs):
Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4
RAM: 2 x XPG GAMMIX D10 (16GB, 3000MHz)
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G
PSU: Cooler Master V750
SSD: Micron 1300 2TB

However, when I try to use 3950X with two RAMs - It went stuck into POST loop. Mobo's Dr.Debug shows '33' each time before the power goes off.
None of the two DIMM slot combinations worked for me, but when I try with only single RAM, it boots up normally. Also, I tried "downgrading" my CPU to old 1700, and it boots up normally even with two RAMs (both single and dual channel).

I have read similar threads and tried mostly everything:
BIOS Update. Tried with BIOS P5.50, and even beta version BIOS P5.70. Both same results.
CMOS Reset. Did it and results were same.
Check for CPU pin bent. No bents on CPU or Mobo's socket, at least that's what it looks like for me.
Too much pressure on CPU socket. Tried reseating cooler with less pressure or even without it. Still the same results.

I'm running out of ideas on what to do. Any ideas?

Have you tried just letting your machine run though a series of loops for a while? On CPU change it's normal for Ryzen to run through a series of reboots doing 'memory training'- this can take quite a few restarts (~10) after which it will then boot up normally....

Edit: Two other thoughts, have you tried each stick individually (just to prove the machine boots with either, it could be having issue with just one), also here are the Asrock error codes:
https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334

According to that code '33' is just a memory error, which doesn't really help much.

Dec 10, 2019
Hello cdrkf, thanks for the reply!

Have you tried just letting your machine run though a series of loops for a while? On CPU change it's normal for Ryzen to run through a series of reboots doing 'memory training'- this can take quite a few restarts (~10) after which it will then boot up normally....
Just tried it, and unfortunately didn't work. I let my pc do the POST loop for 20 times or so, but it just kept stuck with same error code every time, regardless of which pair of slots the RAMs are inserted.

have you tried each stick individually (just to prove the machine boots with either, it could be having issue with just one)
Yes, I have confirmed that, when using just single RAM at once, both of them worked with any slot. One of them went through reboot one or two times before booting up normally, when I moved that from one slot to another.
Edit: This was tested in BIOS version P5.50.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS