[SOLVED] Upgrading from Ryzen 3 2200G to Ryzen 5 3600x. Is it worth?

Oct 17, 2019
Is it worth to upgrade my CPU from Ryzen 3 2200G to Ryzen 5 3600X? (My budget around $200)
I'm using it to desinging (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effect, Premiere, etc) and gaming purpose.
And I want to upgrade my Motherboard too from MSI B450 Tomahawk to MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi (Because B450 Tomahawk have a lot of issues)
Is it Ryzen 5 3600X compatible to MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi?

My build right now
CPU : Ryzen 3 2200G
Mb : MSI B450 Tomahawk
RAM : Adata XPG Spectrix D40 8GB Single Channel
GPU : MSI RTX 2060 Ventux XS OC
Cooler : Cooler Master Seidon V3 Plus
PSU : Infinity Strike Power 500W 80+ Bronze
Drive 1 : Adata Spectrix S40G 256Gb
Drive 2 : Adata SX6000 Lite 512Gb (With Adapter to PCIe x4)
Drive 3 : Seagate Barracuda 2Gb
Drive 4 : WD Blue 1TB
Additional : ORICO Super Speed 4 Ports USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card

Solution
Yes the 3600x and x570 are compatible, in fact they were made for each other. Though I am curious of the issues with the tomahawk, as it's one of, if not the most, recommended board currently.

$200 will certainly get you the cpu, but the board is another 200ish.

Whether or not it's worth it is more up to you. Imo, yes as you gain 2 cores and 8 threads. As well as both faster base and boost clocks. If the programs you're using leverage those cores you itll be especially beneficial. Even if not, doing some quick searches show the 3600x to be 35+% faster all around.

You may also want to up your ram to 16gb and definitely in dual channel, as that'll help tremendously also. Remember ryzen likes fast ram, and you didn't mention speed...
Yes the 3600x and x570 are compatible, in fact they were made for each other. Though I am curious of the issues with the tomahawk, as it's one of, if not the most, recommended board currently.

Whether or not it's worth it is more up to you. Imo, yes as you gain 2 cores and 8 threads. As well as both faster base and boost clocks. If the programs you're using leverage those cores you itll be especially beneficial. Even if not, doing some quick searches show the 3600x to be 35+% faster all around.

You may also want to up your ram to 16gb and definitely in dual channel, as that'll help tremendously also. Remember ryzen likes fast ram, and you didn't mention speed. So if it's less than 3000mhz, I'd get new ram. 3200-3600 is usually the go to for 3rd gen.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The 3600x is certainly a CPU upgrade, but I'm not spending a dime on the fun stuff while using a dodgy PSU that may be using a fake 80 Plus logo (According to the 80 Plus database, Enlight, who sells this PSU, is only entitled to use an 80 Plus Standard certificate for three other PSUs from nearly 15 years ago). This PSU only has a theoretical maximum of +12V power under 400W.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
The 3600x is certainly a CPU upgrade, but I'm not spending a dime on the fun stuff while using a dodgy PSU that may be using a fake 80 Plus logo (According to the 80 Plus database, Enlight, who sells this PSU, is only entitled to use an 80 Plus Standard certificate for three other PSUs from nearly 15 years ago). This PSU only has a theoretical maximum of +12V power under 400W.
Yikes! Didn't even notice that. 400w is certainly pushing things with a 2060.

Oct 17, 2019
You will likely need to update the bios so the microcode can support the new processor. Do this before you put the new chip in. It's one hell of an upgrade

Thank you! I will do that.

You may also want to up your ram to 16gb and definitely in dual channel, as that'll help tremendously also. Remember ryzen likes fast ram, and you didn't mention speed. So if it's less than 3000mhz, I'd get new ram. 3200-3600 is usually the go to for 3rd gen.

I don't know why my B450 Tomahawk acted strangely. When I first buy, it didn't even booting. Now sometimes it not read my PCIe slot at all. Because all my games in Adata SX6000 with adapter M.2 to PCIE, when I'm in game, suddenly it stopped and booting it self. When restarted my PC not detected the drive and ORICO 4 Ports USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card. Seems I got the defected one.

Yes, I want to ugrade my RAM too. My wishlist is Corsair Vengeance Pro PC21000 2x8Gb Dual Channel.

Thank you!

Ah I forgot to mention. It just temporary PSU I got it from my old PC because my Corsair CX550 broken (Can't power up). Thank you for your reply!