Question Upgrading from single to dual channel RAM?

Dec 31, 2019
I currently have 1 stick of 8 GB ram installed in my pc (Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb 2133mhz). I'm planning to upgrade from single to dual channel. I want to buy the Corsair Vengeance LPX 8gb 2400 mhz because it is cheaper than the 8gb 2133mhz. However, does this affect the dual channel performance because the ram stick that I'm going to buy has more mhz than the one I currently have.

Thanks in advance

That just means that it's capable of running at 2400 MHz.....it doesn't have to run at that speed.....and I don't think it should affect dual channel performance.

Although....being it's not a matched set....you will have to try it to know if it will work. I think most likely it will.

Dec 31, 2019
That just means that it's capable of running at 2400 MHz.....it doesn't have to run at that speed.....and I don't think it should affect dual channel performance.

Although....being it's not a matched set....you will have to try it to know if it will work. I think most likely it will.
I hope someone has already done this before. I don't want to spend money to "test" if something is working

I hope someone has already done this before. I don't want to spend money to "test" if something is working
Here's the thing......whenever you use RAM it is always best to use them in matched sets (bought in matched sets).

This gives you the greatest likelihood of them working.

If they aren't a matched sets.....but the specs are the same....they still have a really good chance of working (in my experience).....just not as good a chance as a matched set.

Also....if the two sticks have different speeds....many times the MB will default to the lower speed.

If you are using a discrete graphics card, there will be very little difference between single and dual channel performance. Think 2% with a very few exceptions.
2400 speed ram will have a default 2133 speed so that is what both would default to.

If additional ram is your objective, consider buying a 16gb kit what will be known to work.
Then if your old 8gb plays nice with it, you will have 24gb.

Your odds are reasonably good if you have a intel motherboard.
Perhaps 95% Ryzen is more picky about ram; expect less chance of success.

What is your plan B if the addition does not work?