Question Upgrading from the i3-10105F to the i5-10400F - I shouldn't expect much of a performance gain, right?

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
The i3 was only temporary until I could buy the i5.

Will the jump from 4 cores / 8 threads to 6 cores / 12 threads be a big performance gain or just a marginal one?

Hey there,

Well, that totally depends on what games you are playing. Some games can take advantage of more cores/threads. Others, not so much.

With a boost speed the same on both CPU's, for games that only make use of single core speed, then it will mostly be a draw, with maybe just a few FPS difference. However, with the 6c/12t CPU you may get much better avg FPS, 1.0% lows, so games often feel smoother with more host processing resource.

Here's an example of just a few games: i3 10105F vs i5 10400F – Test in 8 Games - YouTube

Depending what games you play it could be worth it, by selling your current CPU to offset the costs. Might give you more oomph in newer games which expect large core/thread counts. Certainly most online first person shooter games, with 32-64 players, the extra cores/threads make a big difference.

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
Hey there,

Well, that totally depends on what games you are playing. Some games can take advantage of more cores/threads. Others, not so much.

With a boost speed the same on both CPU's, for games that only make use of single core speed, then it will mostly be a draw, with maybe just a few FPS difference. However, with the 6c/12t CPU you may get much better avg FPS, 1.0% lows, so games often feel smoother with more host processing resource.

Here's an example of just a few games: i3 10105F vs i5 10400F – Test in 8 Games - YouTube

Depending what games you play it could be worth it, by selling your current CPU to offset the costs. Might give you more oomph in newer games which expect large core/thread counts. Certainly most online first person shooter games, with 32-64 players, the extra cores/threads make a big difference.
I rarely play games (actually almost never). I mainly use the machine as a workstation for programming and virtualization. So I think the high thread count of the i5 will benefit me.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I rarely play games (actually almost never). I mainly use the machine as a workstation for programming and virtualization. So I think the high thread count of the i5 will benefit me.

I did virtualization quite a bit, basically a combination of development in Windows and Linux (VM) for client / server apps using a 10400.

I later upgraded to 10850K. The difference while doing that type of work was significant. Although I will also note, while running a VM the speed of your SSD IO is paramount.

I think you will see a really big jump going from 4 to 6 cores for that workload.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Given the IPC between the two cpus is a constant factor, anything that relies on thread counts like blender, compiling, win-zip, Photoshop etc is going to see a decent increase in time use. But programs that rely on single thread performance and IPC like AutoCAD etc will see almost zero change.

So exactly how much of a benefit is going to depend on the program, how well it uses Lcache (10400 has 2MB/core vs 10105 1.5MB/core), how well it uses threads etc.