Upgrading from W7 OEM

Addylad

Reputable
Jun 27, 2015
Okay so I built my own pc a few years ago and was forced to by the only copy of W7 I could find at the time. This copy was and OEM copy from a computer shop nearby because everywhere else only sold 8.
I have two questions;
1. Is is true and OEM version is tied to the MOBO and therefore if i Inserted a SSD and installed it to that it would work perfectly fine?
2. When W10 comes about will I be upgrading to another OEM or will it be a full home license?

Solution
The OEM versions of windows are tied to your hardware configuration, primarily your motherboard. If you get a new SSD, your license will probably become invalid until you re-actvate your license again.

For just an SSD change, it shouldn't be a problem to get reactivated. If you change to a completely different motherboard... not so much.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
The OEM versions of windows are tied to your hardware configuration, primarily your motherboard. If you get a new SSD, your license will probably become invalid until you re-actvate your license again.

For just an SSD change, it shouldn't be a problem to get reactivated. If you change to a completely different motherboard... not so much.

Solution