Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 - Old Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

roylfewkes

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I am a college student visiting my parents for a month this summer in Washington. They have been using my main build as a facebook and email machine... all this http:// is going to waste basically..

I have decided to take this back with me to Texas for proper use. But they need a computer. Back in 2009 they bought a desktop that I built onto when I first started getting into computers. It's specs are:

AMD Athlon x2 3800+ ( With aftermarket cooler)
4G DDR Ram
400w psu
M9b1Q7 Mobo

.. everything else is pretty much crap so I will be replacing with spare parts I have laying around. It is in a pretty nice sub $50 case from Newegg, Antec Fans all around. GT 9800 for graphics.
and for a drive I will put in a 240g Corsair Force Gt ( Yes I know the mobo only supports SATA 1)

I am thinking about installing this:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit, System Builder OEM DVD 1 Pack

Found here -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LG0K4MM?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

My question is, will I be able to Upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out July 29th from this version? I assume yes but I just want to make sure. I am also open to any more suggestions and advice too. *** Also what the heck does "For Refurbished PC Installation" mean - This is going on a formatted SSD and I want to make sure this will work for me.

My plan is to just set this up for my parents. They honestly rarely use the computer anyway, maybe once a week or every other.. they just need a computer for now. Later when I visit in the winter I plan to Swap out for a new PSU, Mobo and go with an Intel Pentium or i3 since I will probably bring my GTX 970 with. Anyway let me know! Thanks!!

roylfewkes

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Yeahh I agree too, I have been watching that. I leave in a few days to go back so I wont be upgrading it in person... and there is no way my parents could.. It took them 45 minutes to plug in my system to power, Ethernet, usb devices, hdmi and ect. haha Thanks so much by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.