Upgrading from Win XP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybertoad

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I currently have a licensed copy of Windows XP Pro and would like to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. I am able to purchase an upgrade disc (Windows 7) from my university for less than $10. I understand that there is no direct upgrade path from Windows XP to Windows 7 so a "Custom" install is required. I have run the "Windows 7 upgrade advisor" and my system meets the requirements. I have backed up all of my data and located all of my program discs/installation files. Does any one know of a reason why I shouldn't use the upgrade disc as opposed to buying a full copy of Windows 7? I'm not trying to be cheap , but If I can can save a couple hundred bucks on the Operating System, then I can spend more money on hardware. Please advise.

Solution

This is incorrect and ACTUALLY the only method of using the Upgrade is to do a Clean install -- Win7 does not support in place upgrades from XP so you have to use the custom option and do a clean install from the upgrade media !!

Directly from the...
The upgrade media is exactly the same in the end as the full copy and has the exact same files on the DVD so no reason to spend unnecessary $ and the license that results from using an Upgrade copy along with a qualifying prior version of the OS combines to create a Full Retail license so is in fact a better path to use than purchasing an OEM version license that would be tied to the MOBO of the system it is initially installed on.

Also since you are getting the Ultimate upgrade you can download the XP mode files directly from MS that add a Virtual machine version of Win XP Pro SP3 to your Win7 install so you can run any programs that might not be supported by WIN7 so no need to keep the XP license functional by purchasing a full version instead of the Upgrade in order to dual boot the system (which could be a problem if you were to upgrade to the Home version instead and invalidate the old XP license by upgrading and then find you had a need to use XP still due to software that was not supported in WIN7.)

So no there is no reason to not use the Upgrade !

I can think of one-you won't be able to do a clean re-install. This is a problem I have encountered and it is frustrating because this is a new policy for M$, I never had problems with the fresh installs before. I reinstall about every six months or so, due to hardware changes and whatnot. But if you don't think that will be an issue for you in the near future than I say go for it. WIN8 will be here before you know it, then the colleges will have new offers by the end of the year.

This is incorrect and ACTUALLY the only method of using the Upgrade is to do a Clean install -- Win7 does not support in place upgrades from XP so you have to use the custom option and do a clean install from the upgrade media !!

Directly from the Microsoft Website :

Introduction

To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason.

A custom installation is more complex, and it can sometimes take a couple of hours to complete. We created this five-step tutorial to help guide you through the entire process each step of the way.

@Cybertoad -- the MS website guide linked above the Quote details instructions on the process you will need to follow in order to transfer your existing files and settings to the new install and I would suggest reading through it as it is a pretty good guide.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
But as an OEM disk that will only work for so long JD. Eventually you will raise MS's eye, and they will start asking questions as to whats going on. Retail is supposed to prevent that.

I see no reason why you shouldn't do this. I do question how they can offer ultimate for $10 when everyone else offers regular student (HP or pro?) for $35. Assuming your college isn't looking to scam you guys you should be fine.

It is not an OEM disk it is an Upgrade Disk and for future problems you just need to keep a copy of the XP license Key and the Upgrade license Key and If you ever have an activation problem contact MS activation support and as long as you provide both keys they will activate the install since you are following their TOU and have a legitimately purchased full retail License - ( The use of an Upgrade license even on an OEM license nets a Retail license of the product you upgraded to per MS's Licensing terms.)

As for the $10 price it depends on the University and the number of students they sell the product to and the agreement they have with MS -- I know Texas A&M sells the Ultimate Upgrade to Students for $15 but each student can only purchase 1 license -- LINK to Software Store Webpage So $10 is possible (perhaps the University absorbs part of the cost )

4745454b

Titan
I've only ever heard of the $35 deal. Almost makes me want to go back to school. I kick myself for not taking better advantage of the software that my bookstore offered when I was there. I only picked up XP, office 2000 and VB 6.0. So many other things I should have grabbed...

Totally Agree -- JUst browse though the Link I posted above -- Solid Works for Free - Office for $20 - Camtasia Studio $10 - Win 7 Ult $15. Almost makes it worth enrolling for a semester just to get your software updated !!

Status
Not open for further replies.