Question Upgrading from Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 LTSC to Windows 10 20H2 without reformatting?

DaveB_55

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hello! I am using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC version 1809 and I was wondering if it was at all possible to upgrade to 20H2 without having to reformat my PC and reinstalling everything/buy a new CD key in the process.

I tried using Windows 10 Update Assistant and when it detects my operating system I get the message "Contact your system administrator to upgrade Windows Server or Enterprise Editions.

Windows10-Update-Assistant.png

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

DaveB_55

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I forgot to mention that I am actually using version LTSC! Sorry about that. I got this version because I heard it has less bloatware/spyware but I wasn't aware at the time that it will not get updates that are required to run the latest graphic technology (Ray Tracing in some games). Is it possible to update my Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 to Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2?

USAFRet

Titan
I forgot to mention that I am actually using version LTSC! Sorry about that. I got this version because I heard it has less bloatware/spyware but I wasn't aware at the time that it will not get updates that are required to run the latest graphic technology (Ray Tracing in some games). Is it possible to update my Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 to Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2?
Where did you get this install and its license?

LTSC is generally managed by a companies update and license servers.
It is NOT on the normal update stream.

So no....you can't just "update" it.

DaveB_55

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Where did you get this install and its license?

LTSC is generally managed by a companies update and license servers.
It is NOT on the normal update stream.

So no....you can't just "update" it.

What I mean is, can I purchase a liscence for an Enterprise version of windows and update to 20h2 that way? And to answer your question, I do have a Windows 10 pro key that I purchased but I wanted a version of Windows 10 that has all of the bloatware removed so I downloaded a version of windows called "Windows 10 Performance Edition".

Windows 10 Performance Edition February 2020

-This has all updates included through February 2020.
-This is 64 Bit Version. It is based on Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC X64 Version 1809.
-This has all of the bloat stripped out of it. No cortana, onedrive, no telemetry, no spying, etc.
-This may take an hour or more to install, Don’t panic if it's slow or appears to have frozen. Give it time.
-If you've never reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows before, this probably isn't for you.
-You must do a clean install. It will erase your hard drive and load a totally fresh version of Windows 10 on it.
-We've tried to make this as compressed and fast as possible without breaking anything.

So this particular edition might actually have other things missing as I wanted something that removed all the telemetry and bloatware that came naturally with Windows 10.

USAFRet

Titan
What I mean is, can I purchase a liscence for an Enterprise version of windows and update to 20h2 that way?
Enterprise licenses are not generally available outside a Volume Licensing Agreement.

And its not just the license....it is the actual Update files and process. Which would come from the corporate servers, in conjunction with the VLA.

Where did this Enterprise install come from?