[SOLVED] Switching from Windows 10 to Linux... but which distro ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Keep in mind that Linux distro work on a different format method. Once it's done there is a very specific way to undo it, or you can ruin a storage/USB device. I HIGHLY suggest doing your test drive via USB stick if you can. That way if you mess up trying to format back in the case that you don't like it, you don't risk losing a drive.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Does Linux support other file systems tha Windows, Yes. A new Linux user need to know what file system Windows can and cannot read and vice versa for Linux.

When it comes to testing of USB sticks, yes it may fail in ways that the user isn't notified. However, if the USB stick are coming from a known brand opposed to very cheap Chinese scam products, this...

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
On very old hardware FreeBSD is as fast as it gets.
While it is not Linux, and has its own ecosystem of applications, it has a built-in application level compatibility layer that allows pretty much all Linux apps run just fine on it. It is not done with emulation so there's no performance penalty involved.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Keep in mind that Linux distro work on a different format method. Once it's done there is a very specific way to undo it, or you can ruin a storage/USB device. I HIGHLY suggest doing your test drive via USB stick if you can. That way if you mess up trying to format back in the case that you don't like it, you don't risk losing a drive.

My plan (which I didn't make clear) is to install a new hard drive, keeping the original with it's OS off to the side.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Well... on a different note, I took the intended machine apart to find a buzzing noise.

It was dusty inside, so I took the opportunity to show it some love by breaking it down, vacuuming and blowing out dust. Then I reseated everything.

As it turns out, the buzzing isn't the power supply fan or case cooling fan. It is the CPU fan. I want to replace this as I will (from time to time) get a system shut down because the CPU fan failure.

Can you guys recommend a good place to source parts?

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
https://pcpartpicker.com
https://www.newegg.com

are a decent places to start

sometimes you can snipe a terrific deal at the strangest of places
2 weeks ago i scored i7 11700KF for 300 on amazon. I did not even plan to a build a new rig at the time. Was just randomly browsing crap.
I placed the order thinking it must have been a typo on sellers end and half expected my order to be cancelled. Within of hour of me placing
the order, the listing was taken down. Strangely enough week later it actually arrived. Kinda regret grabbing just one :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dom46

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com
https://www.newegg.com

are a decent places to start

sometimes you can snipe a terrific deal at the strangest of places
2 weeks ago i scored i7 11700KF for 300 on amazon. I did not even plan to a build a new rig at the time. Was just randomly browsing crap.
I placed the order thinking it must have been a typo on sellers end and half expected my order to be cancelled. Within of hour of me placing
the order, the listing was taken down. Strangely enough week later it actually arrived. Kinda regret grabbing just one :ROFLMAO:

I found it on https://store.cwc-group.com/ds6.html. It's only $10, but shipping was another $7.95, so I decided to shop further.

I looked at newegg. The have compatible fans with heat sink, but the configuration isn't the same. The fan on the replacement sits on top of extruded aluminum fins.

The one that has failed is more like a case cooling fan sandwiched between two extruded aluminum fins and is oriented in an upright position. It blows air directly into the case cooling fan which exhausts out the back.

Do you think the replacement fan positioned on top of the extruded aluminum fins will provide adequate cooling?

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
I found it on https://store.cwc-group.com/ds6.html. It's only $10, but shipping was another $7.95, so I decided to shop further.

I looked at newegg. The have compatible fans with heat sink, but the configuration isn't the same. The fan on the replacement sits on top of extruded aluminum fins.

The one that has failed is more like a case cooling fan sandwiched between two extruded aluminum fins and is oriented in an upright position. It blows air directly into the case cooling fan which exhausts out the back.

Do you think the replacement fan positioned on top of the extruded aluminum fins will provide adequate cooling?

not really, that cpu can get quite hot and the heatisink itself is nothing to write home about to begin with.

any of these fans will do, if you have amazon prime subscrition you can buy it for 10 with free shipping,
and Noctua NF-B9 they list is actually pretty good fan in its class. You'll have no trouble screwing it into
that aluminum abomination of a heatsink :p

https://www.amazon.com/92mm-case-fan-4-pin/s?k=92mm+case+fan+4+pin
Btw, if you don't have prime sub, get it as trial, and you can leech off it for a month and than shamlessly cancel at no charge bore trial runs out.

Jul 23, 2021
Going to agree with those who have suggested MX Linux (or for really old computers the related antiX).

Also going to second a Noctua cooler, old stuff is slow enough without it thermal throttling all the time while you are just doing normal things.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Does Linux support other file systems tha Windows, Yes. A new Linux user need to know what file system Windows can and cannot read and vice versa for Linux.

When it comes to testing of USB sticks, yes it may fail in ways that the user isn't notified. However, if the USB stick are coming from a known brand opposed to very cheap Chinese scam products, this risk are very small. Also, after making an usb stick bootable, if the loading from iso file to iso stick are somehow fail to being written correctly due to malfuction, there is a great possibility that the boot process will fail.

Here I've found a couple of links from Linux forums where this issue are discussed
https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...so-was-written-to-my-usb-stick-without-errors

Solution

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
OK... so the Ubuntu install went flawlessly.

But while installing VLC media player, it took a rather long time.

I'm thinking about installing a 240gb SSD and reinstalling Ubuntu to improve performance. With only 12gb RAM, do you think it will be worth the time?

Remeca

Reputable
You are not going to ruin a drive. How do you ruin a drive by putting Linux on it and using a different file format? If you're talking about losing data, well yeah. That's called a clean install.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Originally, I posted this as a new thread in the open source forum, but no responses. Perhaps that was the wrong forum.

So this is the first post in my ever-growing thread on my efforts to learn Ubuntu. I look forward to hearing from those of you who are familiar with Linux.

Hardware: HP 580T (2010). 12 GB RAM. 240GB SSD. PNY GeForce 250. 27" Flat Panel.
Old Software: Windows 7 was the original OS and then I took the free upgrade to Windows 10. And now Ubuntu.

Many reasons drove my decision to upgrade. First and foremost is stability. Ubuntu was easy to install AND all hardware worked right away. No changing settings or searching the internet for updated drivers.

MPEG-4 files didn't play as I received a message saying that the codec for MPEG-4 needed to be installed. As a work around, I installed VLC media player successfully. But I do want to understand how to find codecs and install them.

The other bump that I've hit is installing Private Internet Access. I know it installed, but, there isn't any icon for it in the applications menu. However, when I click on the drop down arrow located on the top right corner, under the Wi-Fi, it shows VPN. When I try to connect, it told me that a client update was required.

I've contacted PIA support, but they weren't much help, only suggesting I submit a trouble ticket. But being so new to Ubuntu, I'd rather discuss it here first so that I can clearly articulate the issue to support if I don't resolve it here.

Thoughts?

Dom

colin.p

Prominent
May 16, 2021
Originally, I posted this as a new thread in the open source forum, but no responses. Perhaps that was the wrong forum.

MPEG-4 files didn't play as I received a message saying that the codec for MPEG-4 needed to be installed. As a work around, I installed VLC media player successfully. But I do want to understand how to find codecs and install them.

The other bump that I've hit is installing Private Internet Access. I know it installed, but, there isn't any icon for it in the applications menu. However, when I click on the drop down arrow located on the top right corner, under the Wi-Fi, it shows VPN. When I try to connect, it told me that a client update was required.

I've contacted PIA support, but they weren't much help, only suggesting I submit a trouble ticket. But being so new to Ubuntu, I'd rather discuss it here first so that I can clearly articulate the issue to support if I don't resolve it here.

Thoughts?

Dom

Make sure "restricted extras" are enabled in software sources, see: https://linuxhint.com/install_multimedia_codecs_ubuntu/

However I use VLC and don't worry about any compatability issues.

As far as VPN's, I use Proton VPN Free and used it briefly in ubuntu, (but no longer use it in linux), so I wouldn't be any help now in that area. Proton had detailed instructions on how to set up their VPN in ubuntu, but now have a dedicated client for linux. It worked when I first used it a year or so ago, but now only use a VPN on my Android TV box.

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Make sure "restricted extras" are enabled in software sources, see: https://linuxhint.com/install_multimedia_codecs_ubuntu/

However I use VLC and don't worry about any compatability issues.

As far as VPN's, I use Proton VPN Free and used it briefly in ubuntu, (but no longer use it in linux), so I wouldn't be any help now in that area. Proton had detailed instructions on how to set up their VPN in ubuntu, but now have a dedicated client for linux. It worked when I first used it a year or so ago, but now only use a VPN on my Android TV box.

Is this the correct place to post Ubuntu questions?

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Honestly, try elementary OS. It's probably the most user friendly and has a mac OS style (from the good ol days) that looks gorgeous. It's run on every bit of 64-bit hardware that I've thrown at it. It's based on Ubuntu.
Linux has arrived. It use to be for Geeks only,even though we convinced ourselves it wasn't. It was.
Now just about any flavor can be as "hard" (geeky) to use or as easy to use as Windows.
Elementary is a great choice and specializes in a clean,user-friendly look.
Linux is definitely here!

WebBeachBoy

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2012
As mentioned above Ubuntu is the most widely used system but you should try LXLE (a fork from Debian / Ubuntu) which is specifically made to run on older or low spec machines is very windows like and friendly and has some great wallpapers !!

Status
Not open for further replies.