Upgrading from windows 7 to Windows 10 HDD to ssd

Oct 15, 2018
I'm going to be upgrading my CPU, mobo and ram next week from an i5 2500k running Windows 7 to a Ryzen 5 1600x. Windows is installed on my 500gb HDD and I had recently bought a 240gb ssd a few months back but have not installed Windows on it. I want to upgrade to Windows 10. I also have programs already installed on my ssd. Is it possible for me to simply disconnect the HDD, install windows 10 on the ssd and put the ssd as the boot drive? Or would I have to do a wipe of the ssd? And would Windows 7 be able to be removed from my hard drive? Any help would be appreciated

USAFRet

Titan
Too many moving parts at once.

Your new system will require a full reinstall.

For the Upgrade to Win 10...If you're expecting a "free" upgrade, you absolutely need to do that in your current 2500k system first.
You can't do it after.

Then, this:
Read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

After you've got that WIn 10 activated on your current 2600k system, and linked to your MS account, then you can build up your new system.

This will require a clean install. Details later.
Is there anything on that SSD you need to keep?

Oct 15, 2018
Ok that's fine if I have to install windows with my 2500k, but is it possible for me to put download and put windows 10 on to a USB stick, disconnect my HDD that has windows 7, install windows ten on the ssd, reconnect the HDD and put my ssd as the priority boot drive? Everything on my ssd can be installed again later, it's just games ATM.

USAFRet

Titan

Not really. Maybe...:lol:
As said, if you're looking for the possible 'free' upgrade to Win 10, that needs to be done on the current drive with the current Win 7.
If you have the license key for the Win 7, you might be able to do a clean install and activate that Win 10 with the Win 7 license.

However...it will still need a clean install with the Ryzen 5 system. Moving that drive from the 2500k to the Ryzen is unlikely to just boot up properly.

Oct 15, 2018
I'm going to buy the key for Windows so that's why I was wondering. I should be able to put the Windows installer on a USB and install it to the ssd and put it as the priority boot drive no?

USAFRet

Titan

OK, then thats different.
Don't install the OS until it is residing in the new Ryzen system.

Boot from your Win 10 install USB or DVD, and proceed on.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

And don't buy one of those dodgy cheap "keys". Get a valid one from a valid retailer.

Oct 15, 2018
Ok so my plan is to wipe my current ssd, when I have my Ryzen CPU, mobo and ram all installed, I won't connect my HDD and just connect the blank ssd, install a fresh copy of windows. Then will windows 7 need to be removed from my old HDD when I plug it back in or does it matter? Thanks for all the help by the way

USAFRet

Titan

If you're going to use that old drive in the new system, then you need to wipe that Win 7 off it. It serves no purpose except to suck up drive space.

Ideally, you move anything you wish to keep to some other drive.
Then wipe that HDD completely. All partitions.
Then, move some things back.