Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on small SSD

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015
Hey Toms Hardware

I currently have Windows 7 on my SSD, which mainly only has the OS on because its a 120 GB Samsung EVO 850.
Windows 7 takes up a big portion of the space and atm i only have about 15 GB available.

Im thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, so my question is:
Will Windows 10 take up more space, the same or less space on my SSD?

Thanks for your time

Solution
Unfortunately I'm going through this problem myself. I actually upgraded to Windows 10 thinking that it would automatically use my SSD since my OS was on it... but I have reason to suspect it's not. At all. If I'm not wrong, the windows icon above disk symbol should indicate where the OS is installed at and unfortunately, mine shows that its installed on my HDD. Sad.

Radelly, hold off on your upgrade until you're absolutely sure. I'm not sure if removing the HDD is enough so wait out until you get more info from the rest of the forum.

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Thanks for the answer!
That was what i though too

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Disk space should be around the same, my concern is if you're doing an upgrade from 7 to 10, there's a possibility that your configuration could cause issues for Win 10.

If you can, back up any important files and data and do a clean install of Windows 10 to ensure there's no hiccups.

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Sorry im a bit of a noob about SSD, HDD and Windows. What do you mean about my configuration?

Sorry if its a stupid question

He means get rid of anything on that SSD you can to free up another 10 GB or so. I have Windows 10 on a 120 GB SSD and still have 35 GB of free space. Start Windows Explorer, right-click on the C: drive, and click Properties. Click the General tab, then click Disk Cleanup. That will clean out temp folders and give you some options to clean out other things. You can also reduce the amount of space used for System Restore and free up space.
You could also look at the Pictures, Video, Downloads, and Documents folders. Copy anything in these folders to an external device and delete them prior to doing the upgrade. Then if you have enough space after the upgrade, you can copy them back.

Good luck.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

Configuration is a general term for the various programs, settings, services that you have on a computer. For instance, I could have a program installed on a Win 7 machine that's not compatible with Windows 10, when I go to install, that program could cause issues for the install.

Because everyones configuration will be different, I can't in good concious just say "go install" as we don't know if any of your programs, settings, etc may conflict with the upgrade.

This is why doing a clean install is best, it erases everything on your old OS and starts fresh, but because it deletes all data, if there's any you want/need to keep, I recommend backing it up first.

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015

Thank you so much for the detalied answer!

So i should disconnect my storage HDD while during the upgrade?

Soulfulred

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Unfortunately I'm going through this problem myself. I actually upgraded to Windows 10 thinking that it would automatically use my SSD since my OS was on it... but I have reason to suspect it's not. At all. If I'm not wrong, the windows icon above disk symbol should indicate where the OS is installed at and unfortunately, mine shows that its installed on my HDD. Sad.

Radelly, hold off on your upgrade until you're absolutely sure. I'm not sure if removing the HDD is enough so wait out until you get more info from the rest of the forum.

Solution