[SOLVED] Upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. What do I need to do?

bsharrah1

Reputable
Mar 15, 2016
Let me start by saying I am completely computer illiterate, so please be gentle.

I have a system running Windows 7 loaded on an SSD, while most other files are on a couple HDDs. What do I need to do to upgrade to Windows 10? Years ago, I recall Microsoft sold upgrade versions vs full versions but can't seem to find such a thing now, unless I am looking in the wrong places. I am willing to buy a new SSD for installation (probably benefit from a larger SSD anyway) if that makes it easier. Again, computer illiterate here, so detailed baby steps would be appreciated. Would be nice if I could just upgrade without losing anything, and without having to reload anything afterwards.

Solution
Officially you meant to buy a licence now

Unofficially you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use it to upgrade 7 to 10 right now. No need for new ssd, just run updater.

It will convert your WIn 7 licence into a 10 one as well.

just make USB, put it in PC, navigate to the USB in file explorer and run the setup.exe. It will ask if you want to update current PC, accept.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Officially you meant to buy a licence now

Unofficially you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use it to upgrade 7 to 10 right now. No need for new ssd, just run updater.

It will convert your WIn 7 licence into a 10 one as well.

just make USB, put it in PC, navigate to the USB in file explorer and run the setup.exe. It will ask if you want to update current PC, accept.

Solution

Blackink

Distinguished
I just did the upgrade from Windows 7 pro to 10 Pro. It's still free, or it was on January 2nd 2020 when I did the upgrade.
I followed the instructions for creating a Windows 10 media Creation tool and the upgrade was done in 10-15 minutes.
Once I got my product key digitally connected to Microsoft's Web site, I did a clean install of Windows 10 pro and that too when smoothly.

USAFRet

Titan
Let me start by saying I am completely computer illiterate, so please be gentle.

I have a system running Windows 7 loaded on an SSD, while most other files are on a couple HDDs. What do I need to do to upgrade to Windows 10? Years ago, I recall Microsoft sold upgrade versions vs full versions but can't seem to find such a thing now, unless I am looking in the wrong places. I am willing to buy a new SSD for installation (probably benefit from a larger SSD anyway) if that makes it easier. Again, computer illiterate here, so detailed baby steps would be appreciated. Would be nice if I could just upgrade without losing anything, and without having to reload anything afterwards.
For any change like this, always always always have a good backup of any data you can't bear to lose.
Always.