[SOLVED] upgrading from windows 7

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
any possible way to keep install paths and such. I am still using windows 7 and its been good to me and I love it. but there are key features i need from windows 10.

my main problem I download quite a bit and even though i delete some of it Ive got quite a lot of games and emulators and things installed pathed to other targets etc set up manually that i do not want to have to reinstall and reset everything by hand and move save files and replace them in folders created in windows 10 because the os to me is just very shoddy. of course full of unnecessary things and unreasonable way to get to your files and pc etc.

Is there a way I can somewhat clone my windows and keep everything the same?

Solution
I guess looking at her windows 10 it has all the same directory's. So does it just keep all the files in the same directories, or does it still create a windows old, etc.
ASsuming everything goes correctly, and assuming you make the proper selection, it will be just the same as it is now, except WIN 10.
It will create a windows.old, but that is to fall back to the previous OS, just in case.

As with ANY major change, be it hardware or software...you absolutely need a full drive backup. Just in case.
And know how to recover that backup.
I upgraded 32 desktops from Windows 7 to 10 2-3 years ago, and all my folders stayed in the same places, so I don't understand your concern about that. I've been using Windows 10 sucessfully with few if any problems, so again I don't understand your concern about that either. The official MS free upgrade period is over, but most folks trying it currently are reporting success. Make a full system backup to an external hard drive just in case, then give the upgrade a try.

USAFRet

Titan
any possible way to keep install paths and such. I am still using windows 7 and its been good to me and I love it. but there are key features i need from windows 10.

my main problem I download quite a bit and even though i delete some of it Ive got quite a lot of games and emulators and things installed pathed to other targets etc set up manually that i do not want to have to reinstall and reset everything by hand and move save files and replace them in folders created in windows 10 because the os to me is just very shoddy. of course full of unnecessary things and unreasonable way to get to your files and pc etc.

Is there a way I can somewhat clone my windows and keep everything the same?
Update to WIn 10 and clone are two completely different things.

Usually, an upgrade to Win 10 works OK. Keeps everything just the same, except now with Win 10.
Key word Usually.

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
I upgraded 32 desktops from Windows 7 to 10 2-3 years ago, and all my folders stayed in the same places, so I don't understand your concern about that. I've been using Windows 10 sucessfully with few if any problems, so again I don't understand your concern about that either. The official MS free upgrade period is over, but most folks trying it currently are reporting success. Make a full system backup to an external hard drive just in case, then give the upgrade a try.
my concern is how much I have heard of having to reinstall windows and file corruption etc. I have upgraded her windows 7 to 10 but choose not to keep windows old files, if I remember correctly when i reinstalled windows 7 before and kept the old files it just stored it in the folder that I was told was temporary but never quite tried to understand it. Doing that though of course made anything i tried to run from windows old have to create new targets and or move everything out of those folders etc.

I guess looking at her windows 10 it has all the same directory's. So does it just keep all the files in the same directories, or does it still create a windows old, etc.

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Update to WIn 10 and clone are two completely different things.

Usually, an upgrade to Win 10 works OK. Keeps everything just the same, except now with Win 10.
Key word Usually.
thats my concern. I do not have anything to back it up to at the moment as im trying to partition my hd to remove my old windows 7 on that, transfer everything to that so i can do a clean install on this ssd. welp thats fixed. on with the moving and hopefully a good install. just backing everything up but im going to leave the files as is to begin with in case it works good

USAFRet

Titan
ASsuming everything goes correctly, and assuming you make the proper selection, it will be just the same as it is now, except WIN 10.
It will create a windows.old, but that is to fall back to the previous OS, just in case.

As with ANY major change, be it hardware or software...you absolutely need a full drive backup. Just in case.

Solution

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020

Okay. I assume system recovery wont help me here. Would leaving the windows 7 partition on my old drive and copying the files be a decent way to back it up or it going to need software.
This is the only thing i have not done in terms of my messing with computer history