[SOLVED] Upgrading from Windows 7Pro to Windows 10

May 7, 2020
Questions regarding Widows 10 for my new build. To be used as a video editing rig, not gaming.

Windows 10 Home or Pro? Advatages/disadvatages?

I currently run Win 7Pro and have an OEM key. I've heard it said that I can download Win 10 from Microsoft and upgrade for free. Is it still possible to upgrade to Win 10 for free from Win 7Pro? How do I do that with my old license key?

Since my Win 7Pro OS is currently linked to my old motherboard [I have purchased and will use a new mobo] is it "dangerous" to try and re-assign my current OS to my new mobo before upgrading to Win10? Is there a history of problems when switching to a new mobo? I am concerned Microsoft won't recognize my license or something when trying to switch & upgrade and then I'll be stuck in limbo with no PC. If it is a problem then I'd be forced to buy a new Win 10 key.

If using old Win 7Pro key is successful in upgrading to Win 10 are there any potential problems in having a Win 7 license key instead of a Win 10 license key should there be technical difficulties up the road with my Win 10 OS?

Solution
If you upgrade the OS in the current system, you can then transfer that license to new hardware.
It needs to happen in that current OEM system.

If it were a Retail license, you could just apply that to a new Win 10 install. But it isn't.

Home or Pro?
The vast majority of users do not need Pro. But since your current OS is Win 7 Pro, you Upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

After it is Upgraded on the current system, and to transfer to the new hardware:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the clean Win 10 install on the new hardware:

After the install, then you transfer that...

USAFRet

Titan
If you upgrade the OS in the current system, you can then transfer that license to new hardware.

If it were a Retail license, you could just apply that to a new Win 10 install. But it isn't.

Home or Pro?
The vast majority of users do not need Pro. But since your current OS is Win 7 Pro, you Upgrade to Win 10 Pro.

After it is Upgraded on the current system, and to transfer to the new hardware:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

After the install, then you transfer that license.

Reactions: jonnyD14
Solution
Officially the free upgrade period is long over. In reality, free upgrades continue to happen unimpeded. It's one of the worst kept secrets in tech; MS could in principle flip the switch any day but the cost of the backlash would be prohibitive.

So, yes you have a key (at least for the current rig). As far as Home/Pro, most don't need the Pro version but since you have a Pro key already, the upgrade will get you Win 10 Pro. There's no particular downside, Pro has all the features of Home with a few extras.

The OEM key could be a limiting factor. Transferred licenses inherit the limitations of the original license.

For a successfully transfered Windows 7 key, there is no practical distinction with an original Windows 10 key. If MS were to de-activate upgrades made after the "official" end of the upgrade period, they would be swamped by lawsuits on top of immense bad press. Whatever missteps they've made, rest assured Satya Nadella isn't that dumb.

If the license doesn't transfer to the new board, a cost-saving measure would be a WIndows 7 key (still available for purchase) - just be careful where you shop and be certain it's legit.

May 7, 2020

Home or Pro?

After the install, then you transfer that license.
Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
What king of limitations do you mean? How would I know if there are any limitations?
OEM licenses are not transferable, except in case of actual motherboard death and identical replacement. MS would then let you move that license to the new hardware.
It would still be OEM, and not transferable.

Upgrading a Win 7 OEM to Win 10 seems to remove this non-transferability. There is nothing specifically in print, but I know that a license upgraded like that is then able to transfer to different hardware.

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
On a side note, you'll not be in a complete limbo if it gets screwed over. For about the same reasons why Microsoft can't deactivate the win7 key validations, they don't lock you out for using Windows unlicensed. You just won't be able to customize and get a watermark, which should be affordable until you get a key.