upgrading from XP Home ed. to XP Pro

I tried this upgrade according to the instructions and following the screen
prompts; then as it got to the loading program mode I got the "blue screen".
After many emails to Dell (the computer mfg.) searching the Microsoft
website, I did the drastic and rebooted/formatted my computer back to it's
original "out of the box" settings. Now, after talking to other help
resources I understand that you should never try and lay XP Pro upgrade over
the existing OS. Any suggestions from anyone.

Your other help resources are wrong.
Windows XP Pro full or upgrade will upgrade several other operating systems
including Windows XP Home very nicely.
The biggest causes of problems are pre-existing problems known or unknown.
Make sure you have the latest drivers.
Verify your computer is clean of viruses, spyware and other malware.

Also:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Sbakermg" <Sbakermg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried this upgrade according to the instructions and following the screen
> prompts; then as it got to the loading program mode I got the "blue
> screen".
> After many emails to Dell (the computer mfg.) searching the Microsoft
> website, I did the drastic and rebooted/formatted my computer back to it's
> original "out of the box" settings. Now, after talking to other help
> resources I understand that you should never try and lay XP Pro upgrade
> over
> the existing OS. Any suggestions from anyone.

I would hardly call installing one over OS atop another as "upgrading
nicely", when installing a new OS you should always back up your data,
reformat the HD and install the OS. Why MS always includes upgrade
options on their OS's when they always leave junk behind we'll never
know.

Perhaps because the upgrade works well for most people.
Back-ups should always be made regardless what you are doing not just during
an upgrade as you seem to suggest..
On the remote chance an upgrade goes bad, a Clean Installation is always an
option.
But there is no reason everyone should waste the time simply because
upgrades for you are problematic.
Many people have better things to do with their time and an upgrade saves
much time.

--

"DosFreak" <d0sfreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I would hardly call installing one over OS atop another as "upgrading
> nicely", when installing a new OS you should always back up your data,
> reformat the HD and install the OS. Why MS always includes upgrade
> options on their OS's when they always leave junk behind we'll never
> know.

Saves time in the short term, mabye, just look what happened to the
user up above.

In the long term it wastes time.

Why not "waste" time at the beginning and do it right?

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Perhaps because the upgrade works well for most people.
> Back-ups should always be made regardless what you are doing not just
during
> an upgrade as you seem to suggest..
> On the remote chance an upgrade goes bad, a Clean Installation is
always an
> option.
> But there is no reason everyone should waste the time simply because
> upgrades for you are problematic.
> Many people have better things to do with their time and an upgrade
saves
> much time.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "DosFreak" <d0sfreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I would hardly call installing one over OS atop another as
"upgrading
> > nicely", when installing a new OS you should always back up your
data,
> > reformat the HD and install the OS. Why MS always includes upgrade
> > options on their OS's when they always leave junk behind we'll
never
> > know.

You are the only one who refers to "wastes time".
An upgrade is like many things.
Most often it is an easy success.
Occasionally it fails.
You can base "wastes time" on this one incident.
I base my suggestion on the experience of many easy successes.
Like other upgrades and updates, it is essential for the computer to be free
of pre-existing problems known or unknown.
If a computer is well maintained, it is unlikely there are problems and very
likely to be a successful upgrade.

So to use your term, I prefer to upgrade instead of "wastes time" rebuilding
from scratch.
The number of successes save much more time than the few failures take.

--

> Saves time in the short term, mabye, just look what happened to the
> user up above.
>
> In the long term it wastes time.
>
> Why not "waste" time at the beginning and do it right?
>
> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>> Perhaps because the upgrade works well for most people.
>> Back-ups should always be made regardless what you are doing not just
> during
>> an upgrade as you seem to suggest..
>> On the remote chance an upgrade goes bad, a Clean Installation is
> always an
>> option.
>> But there is no reason everyone should waste the time simply because
>> upgrades for you are problematic.
>> Many people have better things to do with their time and an upgrade
> saves
>> much time.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "DosFreak" <d0sfreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I would hardly call installing one over OS atop another as
> "upgrading
>> > nicely", when installing a new OS you should always back up your
> data,
>> > reformat the HD and install the OS. Why MS always includes upgrade
>> > options on their OS's when they always leave junk behind we'll
> never
>> > know.

ummm,

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

But there is no reason everyone should waste the time simply because
upgrades for you are problematic.

It seems we now agree.
That statement I apparently forgot about is the only item you now felt a
need to comment.
Thank you very much.

--

> ummm,

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> But there is no reason everyone should waste the time simply because
> upgrades for you are problematic.

Nah, I wouldn't say I agree more like backing away slowly. ;)

I'll continue to perform clean installs on my customer's PC's, you can
do what you like if it works for you. :D

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> It seems we now agree.
> That statement I apparently forgot about is the only item you now
felt a
> need to comment.
> Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "DosFreak" <d0sfreak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > ummm,

Jupiter Jones [MVP]