Upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro - Any hints/suggestions?

I need to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro, mainly for some of the
improved network capabilities.

Any hints or suggestions as far as how to make the process go smoothly?

I've seen people in this newsgroup recommend a "clean install", but not
having any need for the information at the time, I didn't pay any
attention, so I don't know what that means, or if it is even applicable
to my situation.

Bob Pownall

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I need to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro, mainly for some of the
> improved network capabilities.
>
> Any hints or suggestions as far as how to make the process go smoothly?
>
> I've seen people in this newsgroup recommend a "clean install", but not
> having any need for the information at the time, I didn't pay any
> attention, so I don't know what that means, or if it is even applicable
> to my situation.

Assuming that you PC came with Home installed and not upgraded over Win9x
you should be ok with doing a simple Home to Pro upgrade.

A clean install refers to the process of completely formatting your hard
drive and installing the OS on a clean partition. Then you need to install
all your apps and restore you data from a backup.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

> Assuming that you PC came with Home installed and not upgraded over Win9x
> you should be ok with doing a simple Home to Pro upgrade.

Thanks for the response. My I8500 came with XP Home installed, so I
guess I'm good to go.

i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
modifications to xp home can make the networking robust, allowing for
individual folders to be shared by authenticated users rather than the goofy
default of everything being shared by everyone or nothing shared at all...
but you won't be able to join a domain unless you have xp pro.

> i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
> modifications to xp home can make the networking robust, allowing for
> individual folders to be shared by authenticated users rather than the
goofy
> default of everything being shared by everyone or nothing shared at all...
> but you won't be able to join a domain unless you have xp pro.

Frankly Remote Desktop alone makes it worth going to XP Pro IMO.

Christopher Muto wrote:
> i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
<deleted>

I'm having problems connecting to shared network drives at my university
while using my personal I8500 laptop.

The people in my department's network support group say that upgrading
to XP Pro will fix the problem.

I hope they're right, otherwise I'm out the cost of the upgrade disk.

Other than problems connecting the shared network drives, I haven't had
any problems with XP Home. (Other than the standard Windows lockups and
BSOD, of course.)

> Christopher Muto wrote:
> > i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
> <deleted>
>
> I'm having problems connecting to shared network drives at my university
> while using my personal I8500 laptop.
>
> The people in my department's network support group say that upgrading
> to XP Pro will fix the problem.
>
> I hope they're right, otherwise I'm out the cost of the upgrade disk.
>
> Other than problems connecting the shared network drives, I haven't had
> any problems with XP Home. (Other than the standard Windows lockups and
> BSOD, of course.)

"Standard Lockups and BSODs"? Unless you are running some unstable software
you should be experiencing what used to be standard lockups and BSODs. XP
is very stable.

Before you fork out the bucks on a Pro upgrade, I suggest you chase down the
lockups and BSODs. Maybe what ever is causing that is causing you net
connection issues.

On the net connection issues, you really should have none. Remember that
Home doesn't have Domain connectivity capabilities but you still should be
able to connect to resources by passing your domain user and password when
you connect to the share. the syntax would be DOMAIN\USERNAME and PASSWORD.
You'll have to do that every time you connect you laptop to the school
network because Home does not automatically pass that data on reconnect.

Suggestion:
1) Don't assume that Lockup and BSODs are NORMAL in XP even though its a MS
product.
2) Do a clean install of your current Home distribution and ONLY install the
software that is needed and see if all the problem go away.
3) If so save the buck on Pro, if not try Pro but you should still chase
down the other problems
4) Post the connectivity problems and the lockup/BSOD problems and maybe one
if us can help you out.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"
A: "Hey ya'all watch this!!"

Robert, Chris,

Thanks for the info.

I pretty sure that the BSOD aren't connected to my inability to
connect to network drives. The error message I get is that my system
can't even *find* the system with the network drives. The support group
told me that I might have to change some TCP/IP settings, because of
the building I work in, but that still didn't help.

It looks like you're willing to help me figure out my BSOD problems,
so I'll address that in a new thread.

Bob Pownall

that the number one reason to get xp pro.. you need to be able to join the
school's domain and you can't do that without pro. but if you get bsod now
then you should sort that out before upgrading... you simply should not see
them with xp.

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Christopher Muto wrote:
> > i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
> <deleted>
>
> I'm having problems connecting to shared network drives at my university
> while using my personal I8500 laptop.
>
> The people in my department's network support group say that upgrading
> to XP Pro will fix the problem.
>
> I hope they're right, otherwise I'm out the cost of the upgrade disk.
>
> Other than problems connecting the shared network drives, I haven't had
> any problems with XP Home. (Other than the standard Windows lockups and
> BSOD, of course.)
>
> Bob Pownall

this speaks to something i've been grappling with.

i use the modification where u can install the security service (ala PRO) in
HOME specified at muto@worldnet.att.net

this enables you to add 'everyone' to the my documents folders and thus u
can access them thru a lan (My Documents cannot be shared over a lan in HOME
under the default simple file sharing).

but what i really want to do is specify individual users (e.g.,
\\basement\dad or \\upstairs\dad ) namely me, the admin, to all the my
document folders so that i can monitor them from somewhere else on the lan.

each machine on the lan has the same roster of users and identical
passwords, but i've never figured out how to get it to work.

your email implies it may be possible, but i haven't been able to
authenticate any users cuz the 'local groups' (something like that) isn't
available in HOME

any ideas? thanks

> i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
> modifications to xp home can make the networking robust, allowing for
> individual folders to be shared by authenticated users rather than the
goofy
> default of everything being shared by everyone or nothing shared at all...
> but you won't be able to join a domain unless you have xp pro.
>
> "Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > I need to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro, mainly for some of the
> > improved network capabilities.
> >
> > Any hints or suggestions as far as how to make the process go smoothly?
> >
> > I've seen people in this newsgroup recommend a "clean install", but not
> > having any need for the information at the time, I didn't pay any
> > attention, so I don't know what that means, or if it is even applicable
> > to my situation.
> >
> > Bob Pownall

I use the modification where u can install security service (ala PRO) in
HOME specified at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

This lets you add 'Everyone' to the My Documents folder and thus u can
access them thru a lan (my docs cannot be shared over a network in HOME
under the default simple file sharing)

But what I really want to do is specify individual users (e.g.,
\\basement\dad or \\upstairs\dad ) namely me, the admin, to all the My Docs
folders so that I can access them from somewhere else on the network.

Each machine on the network has the same roster of users and passwords but I

> that the number one reason to get xp pro.. you need to be able to join
the
> school's domain and you can't do that without pro. but if you get bsod
now
> then you should sort that out before upgrading... you simply should not
see
> them with xp.
>
> "Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > Christopher Muto wrote:
> > > i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
> > <deleted>
> >
> > I'm having problems connecting to shared network drives at my university
> > while using my personal I8500 laptop.
> >
> > The people in my department's network support group say that upgrading
> > to XP Pro will fix the problem.
> >
> > I hope they're right, otherwise I'm out the cost of the upgrade disk.
> >
> > Other than problems connecting the shared network drives, I haven't had
> > any problems with XP Home. (Other than the standard Windows lockups and
> > BSOD, of course.)
> >
> > Bob Pownall

david,
i don't follow what that article you referred to accomplishes, but will look
at it when i have time... but, what i was talking about is a way to make xp
home behave like windows 2k did. with xp home users that are only a
workgroup member you cannot map to a network share like your \\basement\dad
folder. this is because of the default security policy in xp home which can
be changed. specifically, go to
start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintence-administrativetools-localsecurity
policy then click on the 'security options' key in the left pane and then
look for 'network access: sharing and security model for local accounts'.
by default this key is set to 'guest only - local users authenticate as
themselves'. if you change it to 'classic - local users authenticate as
themselves' and you have created a local workgroup account on each system
with the same password... then presto, you can do what i think you want to
do (and what i thought the op might have been looking for as well).

"David Rothman" <drothman@optonline.net> wrote in message

> I use the modification where u can install security service (ala PRO) in
> HOME specified at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm
>

> This lets you add 'Everyone' to the My Documents folder and thus u can
> access them thru a lan (my docs cannot be shared over a network in HOME
> under the default simple file sharing)
>

> But what I really want to do is specify individual users (e.g.,
> \\basement\dad or \\upstairs\dad ) namely me, the admin, to all the My
Docs
> folders so that I can access them from somewhere else on the network.
>

> Each machine on the network has the same roster of users and passwords but
> 've never figured out how to get it to work.
>

> Your email implies it may be possible, but I haven't been able to
> authenticate any users cuz the 'local groups' (something like that) isn't
> available in HOME
>

> any ideas? thanks
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > that the number one reason to get xp pro.. you need to be able to join
> the
> > school's domain and you can't do that without pro. but if you get bsod
> now
> > then you should sort that out before upgrading... you simply should not
> see
> > them with xp.
> >
> > "Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > > <deleted>
> > >
> > > I'm having problems connecting to shared network drives at my
university
> > > while using my personal I8500 laptop.
> > >
> > > The people in my department's network support group say that upgrading
> > > to XP Pro will fix the problem.
> > >
> > > I hope they're right, otherwise I'm out the cost of the upgrade disk.
> > >
> > > Other than problems connecting the shared network drives, I haven't
had
> > > any problems with XP Home. (Other than the standard Windows lockups
and
> > > BSOD, of course.)
> > >
> > > Bob Pownall

Christopher Muto wrote:
<Instructions on to change XP Home's security policy so XP Home users
can map to a network share deleted>

I'm in the same situation as David Rothman.

When I go to the "Administrative Tools" system folder, I don't see the
"Local Security Policy" folder or icon referenced by Christopher Muto.

I'm using XP Home (obviously, given the subject line of my original
post), and I assume I'm logged on as administrator, since my account is
the only account on the system. (The Guest account is turned off.) All
the partitions on my hard drive are NTFS.

Bob Pownall

Bob Pownall <repownall@netscape.net> wrote:

>Christopher Muto wrote:
><Instructions on to change XP Home's security policy so XP Home users
>can map to a network share deleted>
>
>I'm in the same situation as David Rothman.
>
>When I go to the "Administrative Tools" system folder, I don't see the
>"Local Security Policy" folder or icon referenced by Christopher Muto.
>
>I'm using XP Home (obviously, given the subject line of my original
>post), and I assume I'm logged on as administrator, since my account is
>the only account on the system. (The Guest account is turned off.) All
>the partitions on my hard drive are NTFS.

It would appear that it is an XPPro-only thing then, since I can
find it readily. Never had XPHome.

Regardless, as the Uni IT types told you you needed XPPro
[presumably since you need Domain capability], that's the way to
go. Can't speak to all the permissions, etc, things. Since I'm
the only user of /my/ home network [all of two machines, couldn't
bear to toss the old one], and at work I let the IT gurus worry
about such.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

look at my reply to your post above... i think it is the solution.

> this speaks to something i've been grappling with.
>
> i use the modification where u can install the security service (ala PRO)
in
> HOME specified at muto@worldnet.att.net
>
> this enables you to add 'everyone' to the my documents folders and thus u
> can access them thru a lan (My Documents cannot be shared over a lan in
HOME
> under the default simple file sharing).
>
> but what i really want to do is specify individual users (e.g.,
> \\basement\dad or \\upstairs\dad ) namely me, the admin, to all the my
> document folders so that i can monitor them from somewhere else on the
lan.

> each machine on the lan has the same roster of users and identical
> passwords, but i've never figured out how to get it to work.
>
> your email implies it may be possible, but i haven't been able to
> authenticate any users cuz the 'local groups' (something like that) isn't
> available in HOME
>
> any ideas? thanks
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > i am curious what networking feature you find lacking in xp home.
> > modifications to xp home can make the networking robust, allowing for
> > individual folders to be shared by authenticated users rather than the
> goofy
> > default of everything being shared by everyone or nothing shared at
all...
> > but you won't be able to join a domain unless you have xp pro.
> >
> > "Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > > I need to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro, mainly for some of the
> > > improved network capabilities.
> > >
> > > Any hints or suggestions as far as how to make the process go
smoothly?

> > > I've seen people in this newsgroup recommend a "clean install", but
not
> > > having any need for the information at the time, I didn't pay any
> > > attention, so I don't know what that means, or if it is even
applicable
> > > to my situation.
> > >
> > > Bob Pownall

a couple of notes regarding the above... you must be logged on as
administrator to make the policy change. you must reboot for the change to
take effect. you must have a volume that is formatted ntfs (i do not think
that it works when your disk is fat, but i am not sure/haven't tried).

> [...]
isn't
> > available in HOME
> >

> > any ideas? thanks
> >

> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > that the number one reason to get xp pro.. you need to be able to
join
> > the
> > > school's domain and you can't do that without pro. but if you get
bsod
> > now
> > > then you should sort that out before upgrading... you simply should
not
> > see
> > > them with xp.
> > >
> > > "Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message

> university

> had
> and

> i don't follow what that article you referred to accomplishes, but will

the program installs the 'security' tab when you look at a folder's
properties.

<more below>

"
start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintence-administrativetools-localsecurity
policy"

this is something i've seen in other posts, but i've never found it in HOME.
i don't have any 'local security policy'. i am logged in as an
administrator and te disk is NTFS.

> "David Rothman" <drothman@optonline.net> wrote in message
> >
> > I use the modification where u can install security service (ala PRO) in
> > HOME specified at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm
> >

> > This lets you add 'Everyone' to the My Documents folder and thus u can
> > access them thru a lan (my docs cannot be shared over a network in HOME
> > under the default simple file sharing)
> >

> > But what I really want to do is specify individual users (e.g.,
> > \\basement\dad or \\upstairs\dad ) namely me, the admin, to all the My
> Docs
> > folders so that I can access them from somewhere else on the network.
> >

> > Each machine on the network has the same roster of users and passwords
but
> > 've never figured out how to get it to work.
> >

> > Your email implies it may be possible, but I haven't been able to
> > authenticate any users cuz the 'local groups' (something like that)
isn't
> > available in HOME
> >

> > any ideas? thanks
> >

> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > > that the number one reason to get xp pro.. you need to be able to
join
> > the
> > > school's domain and you can't do that without pro. but if you get
bsod
> > now
> > > then you should sort that out before upgrading... you simply should
not
> > see
> > > them with xp.
> > >
> > > "Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message

> university

> had
> and

perhaps i am mistaken. after all, security/joining a domain is the big
difference between home and pro. i don't have any xp home machines to look
at to confirm, and believe you when you say that you looked and could not
find it... so perhaps the link that you provided is the only answer to this
problem, but i have no experience with it.

this article seems to refer to home and might help...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318825

> [...]

well the link and program i provide gives u access to the security panel in
properties, but you cannot specify anyone other than users on that machine,
everyone & various internal things (system, etc).

it's a question i've been trying to address for a long time, but have never
found a satisfactory answer and don't really want to open the machine to
'everyone'. i think you might need PRO to do this. thanks