[SOLVED] Upgrading gaming pc. CPU cooler fitting case?

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019
Hello, first of all i have read the ''how to ask for build or advice. so im trying my best to do it as right as i can.

Ok, so before i post the specs and what not. i have been googling for hours if the Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 fits in the Mastercooler MB520 RGB. some people say yes. some people say no. some say the default height is 160mm and you have a ''play measurement''( i dont know the English word for it sorry ) of 5mm to lower and raise the fans .

Approximate Purchase Date: Next week around the 10th of June

Budget Range: 500 to 600 euro's

System Usage from Most to Least Important: #1 Gaming 2# Internet 3# Movies
Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU cooler / Motherboard and a SSD as the main storage so i can use the HDD for mods / movies.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes im going to buy a new Motherboard aswell

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: Azerty.nl i have always ordered here good and friendly service and good packinging.

Location: City, State/Region, Country Netherlands,Groningen,Appingedam

Parts Preferences: no part preferences. i just got told the Noctua NH-D15 is best for the Ryzen 7 2700X

Overclocking: / No / ( im not sure about this though. someone told me the Ryzen 7 2700X ''overlocks'' itself when needed. but i dont know if this is true or not. but TLDR : i wont overclock on my own

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: (e.g.:
1920x1080
Additional Comments: (e.g.:

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading
: the reason im a upgrading is. i currently have a B450M but i like to upgrade to a bigger motherboard like the ASUS ROG Strix B450-F and i like to upgrade the CPU cooler with it right away. i have been using the Prism stock cooler it works. but at some times its rattling. i have had this happen before and contacted the website i ordered it from. they send me a replacemant around ~4 months ago and its doing the exact same thing.

My current specs are

Motherboard :
ASROCK B450M

CPU : Ryzen 7 2700X

GPU : Radeon Sapphire Rx580 Nitro+ 8GB

RAM
: 2x Hyper Fury X 8GB

PSU : Be quiet! PURE POWER 11 600W CM 80+ Gold

PC Case : Coolermaster MB520 RGB

these are the parts im gonna buy ( the website is in Dutch )
Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
https://azerty.nl/product/asus/3616163/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-moederbord-atx

WD Blue™ SN550 NVMe™ SSD - Solid state drive
https://azerty.nl/product/western+digital/4084935/wd-blue--sn550-nvme--ssd-solid-state-drive-1-tb

Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

if i forgot anything please let me know and ill update it ASAP

Solution
I see no reason to upgrade the motherboard.
If you so desperately wanted to change it, get a B550 unit so atleast you can get pci-e 4th gen support when you upgrade the cpu down the line.

I agree with getting an ssd. Very good choice.

And now, why that cooler? Yes, it's the "best" cooler, but it's like, so over the top it's unnecessary. the NH-U12S would be much more sensible.
Still very good and better than you need, but not as expensive and huge as the 15D.
If you so desperately wanted to change it, get a B550 unit so atleast you can get pci-e 4th gen support when you upgrade the cpu down the line.

And now, why that cooler? Yes, it's the "best" cooler, but it's like, so over the top it's unnecessary. the NH-U12S would be much more sensible.
Still very good and better than you need, but not as expensive and huge as the 15D.

Reactions: ChickenCatch
Solution

ChickenCatch

Reputable
Sep 19, 2019

Amazing this is why i love this website. the feedback you get back from people :D thank you very much :D im gonna adjust my list right away. Thanks!!

Reactions: siaan312