Upgrading Gaming PC

Felipeuen

Honorable
Jan 19, 2016
Hello. I have been with my PC aproximately 6 years, and I feel some parts are getting old/rusty, and I wanna upgrade a few components. Please note I am not very knowledgeable is PCs, and any help will be welcomed;

Here is my current build:
CPU: Intel i5-3470. CPU 3,20 3,60
Motherboard: Gigabyte b75m d3h
Graphics: NVidia EVGA GeForce GTX970 (bought it last year)
Power Supply: Corsair GS700
Case: Cooler Master Rc-912-kkn1-ad Haf 912
Memory Rams: 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB Total (8GB) 1600Mhz DDR3 (Only using one of them, since the other one is causing booting problems, making beeping noises and not booting, I think it is probably burnt)

Approximate Purchase Date: August, when I am going to US.
Budget Range: Around 2,000 dollars
System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming > watching Youtube)
Are you buying a monitor: Yes. (For now I am using a LG 24" TV screen, which works fine, but i was thinking about upgrading to a 120hz monitor.
Parts to Upgrade: I am not an expert, but I believe i need to upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and Memory rams. I also think my GPU, Power Supply and my case is fine, but wanna make sure my Motherboard will be compatible with a newer GPU I might upgrade in the following years.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing)
I live in Brasil, but will be going to Orlando and Vancouver this August. Was thinking about buying when i get there.
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: Never OCed before.
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: Anyone is fine.
Additional Comments: (I live very close to the beach, and I like my room hot, which might be bad for the PC, is there any type of cooler/case which will help my PC against ocean salt and cool it down?)
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I keep getting black screen while gaming on my current PC, sounds still works for a few seconds, then my whole system freezes. Then my PC only boots if I change my memory slots sockets. An "expert" came to my house, and said this is a Motherboard problem, since it is old and rusty... my brother's PC which is on the same room as mine, also had this issue which got fixed when he changed his motherboard... so I guess the guy is correct. And figured I'd upgrade other parts as well as the Mother Board.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Le Grand Macho RT 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 Pro LED White 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($25.97 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Corsair - ML120 Pro LED White 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($25.97 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell - S2716DGR 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($454.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1984.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-18 05:30 EDT-0400

Solution
Parts to Upgrade: I am not an expert, but I believe i need to upgrade my CPU, Motherboard and Memory rams. I also think my GPU, Power Supply and my case is fine, but wanna make sure my Motherboard will be compatible with a newer GPU I might upgrade in the following years.

Then you need to go Ryzen - which I would always recommend over Intel. Intel Chipsets never last long, AMD is guaranteed up until 2020.

Also, if you are playing games OVER 1080p eg 1440, then the speed between Intel and AMD is not there. Intel only wins by about 5-10% when in 1080p and then its not important between 140 fps and 150 fps.
Then of course Intel generally fails when you use any software that is multi-threaded and now with AMD Ryzen 2700x you have 8c/16 where as the top Intel is only 6/12 - so you get 4 cores more. Plus all new software will be more multi threaded, games included.

While I do agree with the multitasking part, u could have explained about fps better.

Resolution doesn't affect cpu. Period.

Resolution and fps are inversely proportional to each other in regards to gpu performance.

That 1080 right there is perfect for 2k 144hz. So gpu wise its perfect.

I would say OK to ryzen if it's a 100hz ultrawide panel. But ryzen tops at 100-110fps in AAA games. So I would suggest 8700k for that 165hz dell monitor.

And while I do like ultrawides and ryzen, the budget simply is not enough.

The 8700k will last long before needing a replacement. Ppl still consider the 4770k a good and relevant cpu. Get where this is going?

But ofcourse, if the OP is interested in multitasking and productivity, ryzen is the better option.

I cannot agree with Lucky and his - Intel are better at 2k games.

Here is a link - https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,review-34307-7.html
This shows 1080 gaming - please note how little the 8700k is faster in 1080p
But when you get to 1440p which is what you want
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_2700x_review,20.html

Guru3d shows from 720 to 4k res, please note the speed differences in which the res is you are playing, again you wouldn't notice 1 fps in any game when you are hitting over 60fps

So all these people who keep going on and on about the 8700k is faster in games, the stats show 1fps faster, for something that doesn't even come with a cpu cooler and costs more than a chip that has 4 threads more and is cheaper and comes with a cooler.

I don't see why people are still clinging to the Intel 8700k is faster when technically you could say it is at lower resolutions 1080 or less, but it reality it is not.