Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Hello guys, I want to get an opinion on what cpu to get.

Basically I'm a gamer and normally I play a game called Black Desert Online is a pretty sweet game and I'm totally addicted to it. The point is the higher fps I have on this game the smoother it gets.

My current build is:
i7 4790k
16gb ddr3 ram
500gb 3000/1500 m.2
GTX 1070 6gb (or maybe 8gb I don't remember)

Like I think my PC is good but my i7 has become quite old so maybe I should replace it soon for a most recent CPU.

I also wanted to get a 2070 Super but atm I think it's way more important to change my CPU instead of my graphics card.

So my question would be AMD or Intel ? I'm asking about AMD because nowadays ppl say AMD is now best for gaming and it's way less expensive compared to Intel.

What CPU should I get ? I can spend at max like 500 euros for cpu, motherboard and ram.
Sorry if this question as been already asked before.

Solution
Well yes I often run discord all time while I'm playing and also I do watch a couple stream / watch youtube videos / watch anime videos when I'm also playing in this game.
Careful there, running those will consume extra ethernet bandwidth, and for a game that requires a constant connection...
Back when I played WoW, running a youtube video while in an instance/raid or PVP battleground was pretty much suicide.

But then I have a question, why is my GPU not being pushed ? Is it because of my CPU ? Like if I would get a newer CPU wouldn't it push the graphics card more harder ?
Game engine. Not all games are created equal.
Some are cpu heavy, gpu heavy, ram heavy, or combinations of the 3... then you've got games that were...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Likely due to the game engine, gpu isn't being pushed too hard; it mostly hangs around 60% usage.

-You don't appear to want to deal with too much noise, as I can see that the fan pretty much stayed around 50%.
This is important if considering a stronger gpu; higher power consumption, higher thermals, thus a more aggressive curve will be necessary to compensate. The boost clocks on today's cards are based on power and thermal headroom.

-Cpu and gpu temps are fine.

-You're good on ram; about 7GBs out of 16GBs.

-Cpu thread usage isn't bad either - again, probably the game engine wasn't well optimized. ~BUT!

-I notice some terrible frame time spikes, which then leads me to ask some questions relative to these spikes.
1)Do you run anything alongside the game, excluding communication programs like Discord or Ventrilo?

2)Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled? Can be found via Windows Search > Gaming.

3)I just now remembered that this game used to have some kind of anti cheat software... Does it still use that? Because that would actually explain those spikes.
Companies say that these anti cheat and DRM software don't impact performance, but it's been proved numerous times that they actually do.

AMD's 3600, 3700X and even 3800X make compelling value options with a good B450 board, given their very good gaming performance with an excellent price...

The 9700K and 9900K are even faster at gaming when equipped with the very best GPUs at 1080P, but, the differences are often quite minimal with more 'down to earth' GPU options, and, a 1-2% difference in frame rates hardly seems worth the $200-$300 added CPU cost!

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
1)Do you run anything alongside the game, excluding communication programs like Discord or Ventrilo?
Well yes I often run discord all time while I'm playing and also I do watch a couple stream / watch youtube videos / watch anime videos when I'm also playing in this game.

2)Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled? Can be found via Windows Search > Gaming.
Ye they are I disabled them before this test.

3)I just now remembered that this game used to have some kind of anti cheat software... Does it still use that? Because that would actually explain those spikes.
It does but with Process Lasso I did put the anti-cheat process I put on idle and the game I did put it has high/very-high

But then I have a question, why is my GPU not being pushed ? Is it because of my CPU ? Like if I would get a newer CPU wouldn't it push the graphics card more harder ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Careful there, running those will consume extra ethernet bandwidth, and for a game that requires a constant connection...
Back when I played WoW, running a youtube video while in an instance/raid or PVP battleground was pretty much suicide.

Game engine. Not all games are created equal.
Some are cpu heavy, gpu heavy, ram heavy, or combinations of the 3... then you've got games that were lazily programmed that don't know what to do will all the resources available to it.
Try ultra settings - if you aren't already - or go into Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > DSR, and try x2 or x4, hit Apply, and see what happens.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS