Upgrading Gateway box with AMD Phenom 9550 to 9950 Black Edition?

dirkkid360

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Hey guys. I have a question if anyone can help me out! I just got a Gateway DX4200-UB001A Desktop Computer. I upgraded almost the whole computer:

- OCZ Gold 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2G8008GQ
- VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
- PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
- Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro Series Sound Card (so I can use the fiber optics to hook up to my home theater system)

The only question I have is what do I really need to know to upgrade my processor.

Here is the link to the specifications to my motherboard
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006272R/4006272Rsp2.shtml .

Here is the link to AMD Phenom processors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Phenom_microprocessors.

Am I only limited to the AMD Phenom™ (95 W) models or can I pop in the 9950 version (140W)?

I appreciate any help/advice I can get!! THANKS!!

Terry

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Well, thats a 780g board, so unless it's got really good cooling ability to the PWM area you're limited to 95w and lower CPU. Problem being most companies that make 780g boards cut corners and don't put full Phenom and X2 support on them. You could possibly run an X2 6400+ but run the risk of frying the PWM area.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
It looks to me that since it uses a 780 chipset which specifies 95 watts TDP that you should stay with your Phenom 9550 processor.A 140 watt TDP Phenom X4 9950 BE processor would most likely blow out the Mosfets on your motherboard and you would stand a very good chance on losing the CPU as well.

Keep what you've done.You have made some good upgrades.

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
you should run cpu-z and look at the mainboard tab. This will tell you everything you need to know about the motherboard so you can look it up from the motherboard manufacturers site. From that site, you'll be able to determine what the maximum wattage proc you'll be able to use.

I'm willing to bet they didn't get a motherboard that would support a 140W proc... especially since it's a mATX.

if you want to upgrade your proc (and don't want to change your mobo) you will probably need to wait for the 45nm procs to come out for the reduction in power. you'll probably need to flash your bios to do this option though. This may or may not work; I've never tried to flash the bios for a gateway/dell/etc back to the mobo manufacturers bios.

best thing you can do is try to find the EXACT mobo that is in your gateway.

dirkkid360

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Thanks for your fast replys!

But to throw another bone....

Would I be able to upgrade to a faster processor within the same line that is 95W such as the Phenom X4 9750 (95W edition) or the Phenom X4 9650 (95W)?

thanks again!

Terry

I'm a little curious: Aren't the 9550 and 9550BE the exact same clock speed out of the box?? I could see making the swap if you had overclocking in mind, since you'd be able to take advantage of the unlocked multi....

BUT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dont' OEM's (HP, dell, Gateway, etc) lock the Bios to prevent overclocking? If so, then I see no point in spending the money.

Self correction - 9550 and 9950 aren't the same, so there's a bit of a gain to be had there. However, my comment regarding the Bios still stands.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I don't think the 9750 (95 watt version) is available retail.The 9650 might be a possibility although its performance gains would be pretty minor in comparison to the 9550.Also the 95 watt 9650 is somewhat costly so I don't think it's worthwhile for an upgrade.Like sepayne21 said perhaps there might be a possibility for upgrade with the future Deneb (Phenom FX) CPU.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
This seems like a whole lot of work to "upgrade" a computer that was just bought. If the OP is comfortable doing all of these upgrades, I'm having a hard time figuring out why he didn't just start from scratch in the first place. An off-the-shelf Gateway is bound to introduce limitations that make upgrading to a full-blown gaming rig prohibitively expensive. Locked BIOS on motherboards, inadequate case ventilation, sub-par PSU, and so on... some people just seem bound and determined to do things the hard way. It'd be one thing if this were an old computer and the OP's familiarity with computers has increased over the years, but he said he JUST bought it. Why? WHY???

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

On a troll topic: Luke, i am your father.

On a more serious note, maybe it was a birthday gift ? Or well, everyone of us got a bit madman and genius inside.

The Foxconn 780g supports the 125w Phenom 9850 Black Edition. I don't think it supports the 9950BE. I would also be leery of Gateway BIOS support. Good luck getting a straight answer from them.

Waiting a month or two for the 45nm Phenom is an option - as is flashing the BIOS to a Foxconn OEM. Gateway BIOS support for the 45nms would be a question.

WARNING! ymmv with the BIOS flash. Do not attempt unless you are comfortable with the procedure and possible ramifications. Corrupting the BIOS may require the chip to be replaced if not the entire motherboard.

It doesn't appear you have difficulty replacing hardware. It is possible to replace the motherboard as long as the replacement is of the same chipset. Be advised that removing all hardware & chipset drivers prior to the installation of the new motherboard will ease the transition.

There are never any guarantees when dealing with upgrades and OEM hardware. It's good that you are doing your homework.

Let us know how it turns out ...

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

I'm not sure if I follow you. :/

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
The 9750 is supposed to be available in retail with the new price of $170.
Also there is a new 125w 9950BE that was launched today. If your board can handle the 125w 9850BE it should be able t handle the new 125w 9950BE

dirkkid360

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
again wow with the quick insight and responses! Thanks!

And yes, the computer was a gift that I felt could use some "required" upgrades. I saw it at Best Buy for $1100, so I'm guessing that was how much it costs. I got all the stuff they packaged with it too so I'm guessing its from there. I got a bunch of accessories/all in one canon printer/ and 24 inch gateway monitor. Its not bad for what it costs (I live in DE... no sales tax).

I'm a mid range power user for moderately high gaming, thus the video card and PSU upgrade, and the ram for future use in applications... since I was upgrading already.. Might as well as do everything at once.. Got the sound card to hook up to my home theater system.... its nice!

So I just figured what else can I do to it? lol But it seems that I might just hold off on playing around with the processor and motherboard....I'm fine with hardware just no experience in playing around with the motherboard and upgrading processors/BIOS.

Thanks again for everyones inputs!!!