Upgrading GFX card and Power Supply! Finalizing

ElysianWhip

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hey Gentlemen,

I was hoping that you could help me help a friend. He isn't computer savy at all, but he wanted to upgrade his power supply and video card to play more games on the computer.

His Current Computer can be found here:
Here

It's a AMD x4 Processor
Mobo: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix) === Has 1x16 PCI connector

We were looking at this power supply and card.

power.
Card

He isn't looking to spend too much money, but I wanted to get him a decent card that would be able to play anything on at least normal (for future games) and max for older ones. Thanks and I basically just want help determining if these are compatable.

ElysianWhip

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Gamer Dude

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

"Forgive me because I'm quite new to PC building" No worries mate we are all learning and your in the right place TH forums are a great place to learn to build systems and really it's not hard to build a PC just take your time and research and never force anything and never rush anything and you will be golden plus system building is fun and a great pastime. As far as PSU the 20+4 is kinda a standard cause I guess some old motherboards had only 20pin power plugs and some had 24pin motherboard power plugs so they started making all PSUs with a 20+4 pin connector to service all Mobos but now in days all mobos are 24pin power but oddly they are still keeping that old 20+4pin standard. This is the 24pin Motherboard power connector from the PSU I recommended to you notice the last 4pins on the right can slide up and completely off converting it to 20pin for those older mobos this is just how all PSUs are designed. http://www.pctecmech.com/images/24%20pin%20power.jpg

Hi,

(1) post the wattage on your current PSU. It's on a sticker on the PSU. Many modern video cards draw low enough power to run on the stock power supply.

(2) post model of PC, or at lease post what case size. Some cases are 'slim' others are mini-tower, etc. You need a different size video card to go in the different cases. You also need a different size power supply if you end up replacing it.

(3) Here is an article to tell you what video card to buy at what price point. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html The last page has a table of all cards, make sure your new card is at least 3 bumps UP from your current card or you won't be happy.

(4) Post what video card you currently have. If you currently have a very low end card a $100 card will be great. If you have a $350 video card now people will recommend very different cards.