[SOLVED] Upgrading GPU enough?

Nov 11, 2019
Afternoon all,

Im looking to purchase CoD Modern Warfare as my first PC cod as previously cod was the only game I'd continue to buy on console.

My current setup was built 8(?) years ago so fairly outdated for newer games, however it's seen me through as now a days I only really play LoL and WoW what with managing a career and a family.

Therefore I'm only looking to upgrade what really NEEDS to be upgraded so I can (preferably) plad MW on 1080p ultra.

My current specs are:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-D3H (f14 bios)
CPU: i5 3570k with Hyper 212 Evo cooler
GPU: Asus GeForce 660ti
Ram: 3x4 sticks DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Ram (Mobo limited to 1333mhz)
Storage: 1tb HDD general storage + 250 Samsung Evo SSD for OS

My question is would simply upgrading the GPU to an RX 580 8gb be enough for MW with my current specs as the beta ran OK (although i wish I'd played with the settings some more and actually did some benchmarking...), or would I also need to look at changing other parts?

I've noticed some people have questioned the compatibility of a Ga-Z77 board with the RX 580 but others have said it works fine. Also would DDR3 ram be sufficient?

Appreciate any feedback! :)

Solution
UPDATE: I put my old gpu back in, switched all the bios settings to UEFI, installed and ran DDU, put new GPU back in and it worked so clearly it was a driver issue!

Thanks for all the feedback! Just happy to know I haven't got to replace anything else!
28091533700l.jpg

What is the make/model of your psu?
A RX580 is older tech that requires extra power, more like 600w compared to 450w for your GTX1660ti.
Here is a helpful chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
If in doubt, look at the nvidia GTX16xx cards.
You can get some idea of the relative capabilities from tom's gpu hierarchy charts:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Your current GTX660ti is comparable in performance to a more modern GTX1050.
The chart indicates that you can buy a GTX1660ti that is stronger and less power hungry for the price of a RX580.

As to ddr3 ram, you have no choice.
Your motherboard only supports ddr3.
And, overall, intel does not much depend on ram performance.

Nov 11, 2019
Ok, so update, I've bought the graphics card as ebuyer were selling an RX580 Saphire Nitro+ 8gb for £170 so I had to! Next issue ... my pc won't detect the card... I managed to fix the boot issue by enabling integrated graphics but the system won't recognise the card is there! It's connected to a Corsair TX 650W PSU by a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin connector, and whilst the card lights up and the fans start spinning ... the pc doesn't know it's there! I haven't tried the other PCIE slot yet due to running out of time, but I have updated the bios to the latest version so i don't think it's a software issue! I also plan on using DDU tonight to see if removing the nvidia drivers will help! Any other thoughts?

Oct 4, 2019
Hi there. First things first what's your psu to make sure you can run the card? (edit ignore this one sorry I just woke up, your psu SHOULD be OK with the setup)

Secondly if you've got the psu then a bios update isn't necessarily the issue but is always a great place to start and can't hurt to do.

Third, are you running in legacy or uefi?

Nov 11, 2019
Hi there. First things first what's your psu to make sure you can run the card? (edit ignore this one sorry I just woke up, your psu SHOULD be OK with the setup)

Secondly if you've got the psu then a bios update isn't necessarily the issue but is always a great place to start and can't hurt to do.

Third, are you running in legacy or uefi?

Hi Abdalor,

So the BIOS update certainly helped as it allowed me to boot with the card plugged in (and it's also now allowing me to run my ram at 1600mhz where it was previously underclocking it to 1333mhz which is an added bonus!)

I'm at work currently so when I get home I will 100% confirm but I have a feeling I'm running UEFI, yet from my understanding both the mobo and the gpu support dual bios?

Or am i misunderstanding?

Nov 11, 2019
UPDATE: I put my old gpu back in, switched all the bios settings to UEFI, installed and ran DDU, put new GPU back in and it worked so clearly it was a driver issue!

Thanks for all the feedback! Just happy to know I haven't got to replace anything else!

Solution
Oct 4, 2019
[/QUOTE]

Great stuff, that's exactly why I asked and exactly what I was gonna say to do. I'm glad everything worked out and you didn't have to spend any cash to get it fixed.