Upgrading GPU for Game content creation. Need some advice.

CGPhantom

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello all,

My name is Steven. I'm looking to upgrade my GPU. I primarily create 3D content for games, and I am currently running a Gigabyte 650ti, and it's a nice little card, but it is struggling to keep up with with larger environmental scenes in the Unreal Engine. I need to be able to view normal and texture maps at full resolution in-game so I can assess the model.

I'm not overly tech-minded but I know that Quardro/firepro workstation cards are usually best for content creation (better driver support etc) but I also need a card optimised for real time game engine rendering. Not to mention the costs of workstation cards make them less desirable.

I have been thinking about the 970 now it's out, as it's a nice bang-for-buck gaming card, but has a nice amount of ram too. But I'm worried I might not see a good performance boost while modelling. But I'm also worried I might be over-thinking that, as I'm not editing insanely high-poly meshes (outside of zbrush) and I'm not using Vray/Mental Ray that often.

Is it worth keeping my current GPU and adding a Quardo? Will I have to switch the monitor lead to take advantage of the Quadros performance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My budget is about £300 but I can push it to £400 if I must.

The software I primarily use is:

3DS Max (modelling)
Maya (basic animation)
Zbrush
Photoshop (Handling large 4k maps)
Marmoset Toolbag (realtime rendering/shaders)
UDK (Realtime rendering/shaders)
TopoGun
Xnormal

My current hardware:

Asus p9x79 Pro
Intel i7-3820
Corsair Vengence 1600 ddr3 16gb
Gigabyte 650ti
WD 500 gb HDD - (I'm purchasing a corsair mx100 512GB ssd)

All on Windows 7 x64 Unlim.

Thanks,

Steven

Solution
Keeping in mind I don't have first-hand experience with the Quadro / Firepro you've mentioned:

If I was in your position I'd be looking at an x80 GeForce variant.

So that's either the GeForce 780Ti or the GeForce 980 GTX.

Such a card would give you a very genuine idea as to how your creations will run on a user's hardware.

Nvidia's x80 series are top of the range for that lineup and so would very possibly give you a clear idea of the end-user experience. If you wanted to simulate an x60 you need only underclock the card to the x60's specifications for a clear approximation of how that hardware would perform.
Keeping in mind I don't have first-hand experience with the Quadro / Firepro you've mentioned:

If I was in your position I'd be looking at an x80 GeForce variant.

So that's either the GeForce 780Ti or the GeForce 980 GTX.

Such a card would give you a very genuine idea as to how your creations will run on a user's hardware.

Nvidia's x80 series are top of the range for that lineup and so would very possibly give you a clear idea of the end-user experience. If you wanted to simulate an x60 you need only underclock the card to the x60's specifications for a clear approximation of how that hardware would perform.

Solution

CGPhantom

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello Thelps,

Thanks for the input. The 780ti and the 980 are a little pricey for me at the moment. I agree that a consumer card is the way to go. After thinking it through, my 650ti drive my apps just fine, its real time rendering where I'm having the issues. So a workstation card will probably go to waste in my workflow.

After reading about the 970 (msi version) they seem to perform on par with the 780ti when overclocked. Would this perhaps be a sound route to take? I can possible add another 970 down the road and run them in sli.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any erros in my text, I'm messaging from my phone.

Thanks again,
Steven