[SOLVED] Upgrading GPU from GTX 980 Ti to Radeon RX 5700 XT

dnl.sharouf

Prominent
Jun 14, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of upgrading my GPU since I started to feel that my 980 Ti started to struggle with my standards of graphic preferences in some newer games.
The GPU that I am thinking to buy is the Radeon RX 5700 XT.
My question is what is the performance boost that I'm supposed to get with my current config (see below)
Is this the best option for me regarding budget/performance?

My other specs are:
Asus Maximus VI Hero
Core i7 4770K
16GB DDR3
1 TB SSD Evo 860 Pro
Dell 2K Monitor

Thanks.

Last edited:

dnl.sharouf

Prominent
Jun 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply.
I have another question, my motherboard has a PCIe 3.0 slot and the RX 5700 XT is PCIe 4.0 card, does the card have the ability to work with this slot or not?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
According to this review it is fully backward compatible with PCIe 3.0:

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
Also see the conclusion of the same article you linked.

"Looking at the results, we can see a whole lot of nothing. PCI-Express 4.0 achieves only tiny improvements over PCI-Express 3.0—in the sub-1-percent range When averaged over all our benchmarks, we barely notice a 1% difference to PCIe Gen 3. I also included data for PCI-Express Gen 2, data which can be used interchangeably to represent PCIe 3.0 x8 (or PCIe 4.0 x4). Here, the differences are a little bit more pronounced, but with 2%, not much to write home about, either. These results align with what we found in previous PCI-Express scaling articles.

That's of course a good thing as it confirms that you do not need an expensive PCI-Express 4.0 motherboard to maximize the potential of AMD's new Radeon RX 5700 XT. It also produces strong evidence that PCIe 4.0 won't be needed for even more powerful next-gen graphics cards because our three tested resolutions reveal more details. "

Reactions: DMAN999
That is just marketing. In reality it doesn't utilize PCIe 4.0. Not even RTX Titan does.
In reality you are misinformed. Amd 5700/xt is Pcie 4.0 ready and usable.
http://prntscr.com/ov9ei8 And don't give me the old you cant use it for anything. To be informed is to know that in reality it opens more pcie lanes to use for other things not just gpu. At 4.0 you can use the 8x pci slot and still get x16 performance freeing up 8 pcie lanes for other things etc etc.

Last edited:

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
The performance is the same. I am not misinformed. It was the same when PCI-e cards first came out when they replaced AGP. At first the cards didn't utiliaze the new bandwidth, they were too underpowered. The same is the case with the RX 5700 XT. Future cards will take advantage of the new standard. All I'm saying is right now running an RX 5700 XT in either PCI-e 3 or PCI-e 4 will give anyone the same FPS in a game.

Latest posts