Question Upgrading GPU on an old computer/CPU, best choice to avoid bottleneck?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
So, I have this PC I built back in 2012. It's starting to really show it's age, it's CPU and GPUs are old, noisy, and use a lot of power due to being SLI.

It's a 3770K system with two slightly overclocked GTX 670s in SLI

While a new CPU is out of the question for now as that would require me to build an entirely new PC, I figured nowadays I can easily get a single card that can outperform my SLI setup and at least keep this system more viable for a few more years before I just entirely build a new one, that way I also have to worry about less heat, power, and noise... as well as freeing up a PCIe slot..... issue is, that my CPU is so old that I worry about a card too new would be useless vs an older one due to bottlenecking.

I was originally going to get a used 1080TI on eBay, since from my past experience typically the X80 Geforce of a previous gen still outperforms the X70 of the next gen especially if it's a TI model... but that doesn't seem to be the case this time. An RTX 2070 Super appears to outperform a 1080TI in most cases.... and a new RTX 2070 Super seems to go for roughly the same price that a 1080TI goes for on eBay.

Issue is, I don't know how this will effect bottle-necking, I saw a lot of posts about a 1080 (Not sure if it was Ti or not) working fine in a 3770K, and a lot of posts about a RTX 2070 being bottlenecked in a 3770K. Will I still get the same level of bottle-necking from both cards so they would both perform exactly the same anyway? Or would the 2070 Super actually be bottlenecked worse than the 1080Ti on a 3770K and actually perform worse?

What is your monitor make/model and/or resolution/ refresh rate.

RTX2070 Super is WELL into the 1440p 144Hz territory (when not held back by CPU)

How long are you planning on keeping the 3770K around for. Do you or will you OC it?

I can't search this at the moment, but what's the modern day single card equivalent of 2xGTX670. Is it even a GTX1650?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Monitor is an ASUS VG248QE. It does 1080p at 144HZ.

I want to keep it as my main system for another 2-3 years or so, but I still want to use it for some legacy purposes after that.

And my CPU is not overclocked anymore. When I first built this system it was, and it remained stable for two years, but then suddenly failed one day and I was never able to overclock it by even a little since then, so I am back to stock speeds now.

And I think a GTX 1070 was the first equivalent, not counting cards that costed insane amounts such as the Titan.