Upgrading GPU, RAM, OS: Requesting Help with Steps

Bast

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Hello all!

First, here is the link to my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dGwqYJ

I'm upgrading a few parts at the same time, and was looking for some help on exactly the steps/order I should take in doing so. Here are the parts I am upgrading and what they are being upgraded to:

---RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 | https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d16gxm
---GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE | https://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970g1gaming4gd

I'm going to make an installation key of Windows 10 using the free upgrade from Windows 7. Then I want to wipe my SSD (which is where my OS is stored) and my HDD clean so that I can do a completely clean install of Windows 10. The questions I have are:

1. What is the best way to wipe my SSD and HDD to "like new" for the clean install of Windows 10 and re-install of all other programs?
2. Because I'm upgrading my RAM and my GPU as well, are there any BIOS settings that will need to be reset to "let go" of the previous settings, or will wiping the storage and reinstalling the OS cover this? If so, what's the best way to do this?
3. Should I use a disc or a USB flash drive to create an installation key of Windows 10? Is one easier than the other?
4. Is there a more optimal RAM speed I should look into buying instead with this CPU/Mobo combination than 1600? I did some research but couldn't discern how to choose an optimal RAM speed. I have not overclocked currently but would probably like to in the future when I feel more comfortable to.
5. What is the best order to take these steps in?

My current system works great, I'm just upgrading for better performance and the newer OS. Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
If you are doing a clean install, it will format the disk and write new data to it. If you are upgrading, it will not format the disk as there would be nothing to upgrade afterwards.

If you don't want to reset the BIOS and have messed with any of the settings, you are probably OK on that front but there's usually a selection for "Load Optimized Defaults" that will basically undo any changes that were made for any reason. Up to you on that.

You will have to reinstall your nVidia drivers anyway so no issue there.

utgotye

Admirable
No need to wipe it as you will format the disk as a part of the clean install process.

If you are worried about conflicting BIOS settings, reset your BIOS to factory defaults before installing Windows.

Neither one is easier than the other.

DDR3-1600 is more or less the "standard". That said, if you are overclocking, AMD chips tend to like faster RAM more in my experience than Intel CPUs. If you intend to OC, feel free to get 1866 or even 2133.

1)Reset BIOS if you're concerned.
2)Install Windows via disc or USB
3)OS disk will be formatted as a part of the clean install process
4)Once your install is complete and everything is as you like it, begin the OC process; if just RAM, I'm betting there's a profile already.

Bast

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
So even though it's already formatted from the previous Windows installation, I'll have to format it again anyway when I start the new install? And the SSD will be wiped in the process? Will the HDD need to be re-installed and reformatted automatically or is there a manual process for that?

Do you think just clearing the CMOS after RAM replacement would suffice, or does that not have any impact on RAM timings and such? I'm hesitant to reset BIOS to factory settings because I don't want to take any steps that may require me to update my BIOS version since my motherboard is a little old and that process would be a pretty huge pain. I also never manually adjusted any of the BIOS settings before, if that makes a difference on whether I should reset or not.

I assume the GPU drivers are attached to the OS, so just reinstalling Windows 10 should prevent any conflicts there, correct?

Thanks for the advice on the RAM speed. I'll look at some 1866 and check the board specs again. And thanks for the very quick and helpful response!

utgotye

Admirable
If you are doing a clean install, it will format the disk and write new data to it. If you are upgrading, it will not format the disk as there would be nothing to upgrade afterwards.

If you don't want to reset the BIOS and have messed with any of the settings, you are probably OK on that front but there's usually a selection for "Load Optimized Defaults" that will basically undo any changes that were made for any reason. Up to you on that.

You will have to reinstall your nVidia drivers anyway so no issue there.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS