[SOLVED] Upgrading GPU to an RX 6600 results in games stuttering ?

specs
Ryzen 5 5600 / Asus Prime B550M-A / 16GB 3200 MT (8GB x 2) / Inland 1TB SATA SSD (Micro Center brand) / Corsair CX550M (purchased 10/16/2020) / MSI RX 6600

previous GPU: GTX 1050 (non-Ti)

previous and current display: Asus VG248QE: 1080p 144 FPS TN display (bought in 2013)

problem
A friend of mine upgraded her computer's CPU / MB / RAM / GPU, and noticed that the two only games that she plays are stuttering (Dead by Daylight, Elden Ring). The PSU, case and SSD are from the previous build.

troubleshooting
BIOS is updated to latest version, AMD chipset drivers installed from directly from AMD, latest AMD Radeon graphics drivers installed. Initially she simply moved Inland SSD from old Intel build to new AMD build. But at my prompting, she wiped the partitions, and installed Windows 10 Professional from scratch, but problem still persists. Suggestions?

Reactions: drivinfast247
What are CPU temps under load?
I still don't know, but it would be helpful if she could install some sort of utility that shows that data, and other info below. Do you know of any utility that display this information? I'm aware that HW monitor shows this info. Normally I would ask her to game on one monitor and place HW monitor on the other, but unfortunately she only has a single monitor.

cpu temp
cpu utilization
gpu utilization
FPS

The cause of the performance issue was CPU thermal throttling. Instead of my friend checking CPU temps or upgrading the stock cooler, she decided to buy an entirely new case with better airflow. Her previous case looks like it may have been repurposed from a 10 year old prebuilt, and lacked a front fan; it only had one rear case fan. The moment that she moved the build into the new case, booted Windows, and launched Elden Ring, she immediately noticed that all stuttering was gone. She's absolutely certain the issue is resolved.

Montech AIR 100 ARGB MICRO-ATX
$64.99
https://www.microcenter.com/product...glass-microatx-mini-tower-computer-case-black

drivinfast247 Thank you for your troubleshooting suggestions. The issue was clearly caused by CPU thermal throttling due to a stock fan running in a case with inadequate airflow.
ohio_buckeye Thank you for your help. I will absolutely play around with that AMD Adrenaline performance overlay.

Reactions: drivinfast247
The cause of the performance issue was CPU thermal throttling. Instead of my friend checking CPU temps or upgrading the stock cooler, she decided to buy an entirely new case with better airflow. Her previous case looks like it may have been repurposed from a 10 year old prebuilt, and lacked a front fan; it only had one rear case fan. The moment that she moved the build into the new case, booted Windows, and launched Elden Ring, she immediately noticed that all stuttering was gone. She's absolutely certain the issue is resolved.

Montech AIR 100 ARGB MICRO-ATX
$64.99
https://www.microcenter.com/product...glass-microatx-mini-tower-computer-case-black

drivinfast247 Thank you for your troubleshooting suggestions. The issue was clearly caused by CPU thermal throttling due to a stock fan running in a case with inadequate airflow.
ohio_buckeye Thank you for your help. I will absolutely play around with that AMD Adrenaline performance overlay.

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I didn't respond. No way to know unless I get quoted.

Reactions: rcald2000