Question Upgrading GPU to gtx 2070/2080? Advice

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Plan on making a purchase once I know all what I want.

BUDGET RANGE: N/A Best bang for my buck on what I'm asking.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming..I play a little of everything and want to make sure im topped off for the future. I also use my HTC Vive so a card to enrich that experience.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Currently running a GTX 970 with a 750W psu

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU - I5 4960k / MoBo - AsusTek Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 / 16GB DDR3

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg..but no real preference.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US of A

PARTS PREFERENCES: I'm not against swapping around, however, I've always used Intel/Nvidia so that is what i am most comfortable with.

OVERCLOCKING: Sadly..I've never looked into overclocking my current cpu.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
1920X1080 - 144 HZ

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Curious if upgrading from my current build to a GTX 2070/2080 would bottleneck or if it is necessary to upgrade my CPU as well. And If i did do that, would i also need to get a new MoBo with new RAM also?

--My main question is in the additional comments. But mainly i'm looking to upgrade but don't want to buy just to buy, so i'm looking for some feedback on what route i should go?--

With your CPU a 2070/2080 will be bottlenecked, you can mitigate it some by overclocking but you may want to look at upgrading your CPU/Mobo/RAM as well eventually.

Also a 2070/2080 is more than capable for 1440P gaming so you might want to look at upgrading to a higher res monitor as well.

Eric Ralphs

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2013
With your CPU a 2070/2080 will be bottlenecked, you can mitigate it some by overclocking but you may want to look at upgrading your CPU/Mobo/RAM as well eventually.

Also a 2070/2080 is more than capable for 1440P gaming so you might want to look at upgrading to a higher res monitor as well.

I figured that made the most sense. Just didnt want to think about spending that much haha. Thanks for the information though.