Upgrading GPU trying to figure out pin connectors current has 8 and a 6+2 new GPU has a 6 pin connector

Feb 28, 2018
My current is an MSI GTX 770 it looks as if it has a 8 pin and a 6+2 I'm looking at 1060s to upgrade to and most of them have 6 pin connector what would I have to do to use one?

Solution
No problem. Every PCIe power connector from your PSU has 6+2 [in configuration where you can just detach this extra two pin and use it as a single 6 pin connector.
So after removing your 770, install gtx 1060 and put this 6+2 pin connector the only 6 pin par and leave the other two pins side. Check some youtube videos like "PCie Power Connectors Explained"

AniChatt

Distinguished
No problem. Every PCIe power connector from your PSU has 6+2 [in configuration where you can just detach this extra two pin and use it as a single 6 pin connector.
So after removing your 770, install gtx 1060 and put this 6+2 pin connector the only 6 pin par and leave the other two pins side. Check some youtube videos like "PCie Power Connectors Explained"

Solution
Feb 28, 2018

thank you very much I tried looking around and most of the questions I kept seeing were can I use 6 in a 8 pin connector.. lol

AniChatt

Distinguished

Haha we do stupid things some times.....:D