Question Upgrading GPU ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 3, 2020
I recently ordered a RTX 3080 and I am just wondering if my current rig is 100% compatible ?
I did check a bit before posting this but I want an expert to see if I might have missed something along the way:

• GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 (MSI)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz
  • RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (DDR4-3200 8GBx2)
  • PSU: Crosair HX750
  • Mobo: ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
  • Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower
  • Monitor: ROG PG348Q

Dec 3, 2020
Front, side, and bottom fans are usually intake. Rear and top fans are exhaust. Are your fans oriented like this?
Oh I see the issue, probably:

Front -> take air from outside the case.
Top-> takes air from outside the case.
Rear -> Takes air from inside the case.

I'll need to switch the top one most likely to be exhaust as you said, and I might need to buy an extra fan for more cooling.

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
My 3080TI FE runs around 80C with 3 intakes and 3 exhausts. It's quite common from what I have seen, depending on what you're doing and playing it will move around a little but I wouldn't be worried.

Dec 3, 2020
My 3080TI FE runs around 80C with 3 intakes and 3 exhausts. It's quite common from what I have seen, depending on what you're doing and playing it will move around a little but I wouldn't be worried.
I see, thanks a lot for the information, I'll make sure to keep an eye on the temps to make sure it's not going over 90c.
Although on HWMonitor do I look for the Memory and Hot Spot types as well or just keep an eye on the GPU one?

See relatable image here: Post #25

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
When I use HWMonitor all the temps show up the same as yours when I get it going on benchmarks and such or 4k gaming. Use a monitoring program, play a decent gaming session and just check what your maxes are. I read an article on mem temps, and they usually are around 100-110 as a standard when heavy gaming. The hot spot will always be a few C above your GPU. But the main one to keep a lookout for is the GPU one, going around 90-95 is a no-no. Hope this helps.

Dec 3, 2020
When I use HWMonitor all the temps show up the same as yours when I get it going on benchmarks and such or 4k gaming. Use a monitoring program, play a decent gaming session and just check what your maxes are. I read an article on mem temps, and they usually are around 100-110 as a standard when heavy gaming. The hot spot will always be a few C above your GPU. But the main one to keep a lookout for is the GPU one, going around 90-95 is a no-no. Hope this helps.
Gotcha, I'll keep an eye on the temps and I'll purchase another fan for my top side so I can have an extra airflow ;)

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Just an FYI, when I got my card I re-arranged all the fans in my case. The best setup for my scenario was intake x2 on front x1 on bot/ exhaust x1 on back x2 through my radiator on top. -5c for the GPU + 5c on the CPU. I have an H100 for added context. Hope you enjoy your card like I do! :)

Dec 3, 2020
Just an FYI, when I got my card I re-arranged all the fans in my case. The best setup for my scenario was intake x2 on front x1 on bot/ exhaust x1 on back x2 through my radiator on top. -5c for the GPU + 5c on the CPU. I have an H100 for added context. Hope you enjoy your card like I do! :)
Oh I see, well I ordered 3 more fans (120mm), what I will do is basically this:

Rear -> x1 120mm fan exhaust.
Top -> x2 120mm fan exhaust. (I do have one which is 140mm but think it's best to use the 120mm for the appeal of not having just one 140mm and the other 120mm.)
Front -> x3 120mm fan intake.

Can anyone alter my orientation other than what I just posted for better performance/temperatures?

Personally, I'm opposite. So my case can hold 6 fans and has a mesh front. Personally, the way I get the best temps is by having the 3 front fans as intake, top 2 as intake, and single rear fan as exhaust. I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1070. My Ryzen with a Wraith Prism stays about 73 under full load, though I bought a tower cooler for that, but my 1070 stays around 80 under load I think.

Dec 3, 2020
Personally, I'm opposite. So my case can hold 6 fans and has a mesh front. Personally, the way I get the best temps is by having the 3 front fans as intake, top 2 as intake, and single rear fan as exhaust. I'm using a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1070. My Ryzen with a Wraith Prism stays about 73 under full load, though I bought a tower cooler for that, but my 1070 stays around 80 under load I think.
And having the GPU at 80c I guess is idle while gaming?