[SOLVED] Upgrading gramps processor (Assistance Needed)

Dec 13, 2018
Now that i have upgraded the ram and SSD for my grandpas cpu i decided i'd upgrade the processor.

Motherboard: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn-motherboard-2ab1-specs-12242010h37/

Current Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640

Solution
I'm saying you already have one of the better processors for that motherboard installed. Unless Gramps is into video editing or massive multi-tasking, and upgrade to a processor with more cores isn't going to make a difference or at best, a very slight difference that isn't worth the cost.

Now if you want to do a full core system upgrade (CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Operating System) that's a completely different situation.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd say that unless you can find an AMD Phenom II X6 10xxT (Note the "T") series processor on the extreme cheap, there is no processor upgrade worth the cost. Even if you did find one, I'm not sure you or Grampa would even notice a difference.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Of course there are, but in my opinion, none are worth the cost and depending on what Gramps is doing with the computer, even if you did upgrade to a Phenom II X6 10xxT series processor, would he (or you) even notice the difference?

-Wolf sends

Dec 13, 2018

Well if its a better processor than probably. What you trying to say? That upgrading won't make a differrence?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'm saying you already have one of the better processors for that motherboard installed. Unless Gramps is into video editing or massive multi-tasking, and upgrade to a processor with more cores isn't going to make a difference or at best, a very slight difference that isn't worth the cost.

Now if you want to do a full core system upgrade (CPU/Motherboard/RAM/Operating System) that's a completely different situation.

-Wolf sends

Solution
with the price of ell and other pre built pc are cheap now your better off buying a newer prebuilt that has windows 10 on it. to save you 100.00 for just the os disk. then install the ssd as the boot drive for speed. my dad was using a 12 year old dell with xp on it. it ran so slow my dad wanted to toss it one day. i built him a newer pc three years ago. the pc still going strong wiht the ssd and g intel cpu. he just uses it for web and solitaar.

Dec 13, 2018

I already upgraded to an ssd and i upgraded the ram.

Dec 13, 2018
He's using it for browsing, video editing, and a little bit of gaming, but that shouldn't define whether or not the best processor for the motherboard would be better than the current one.

Put it another way. The best cpu for that board isn't worth your money these days. Honestly, if you don't want to spend a lot of money, the best upgrade you can probably do is find an old Dell optiplex system with an i7 and use his existing ram to upgrade to closer to 16gb, migrate over his SSD and call it a day. I think even the older i7 2600 processors still perform well in games coupled with a good GPU.