Question Upgrading Graphic Card Question

Mar 12, 2022
Hello guys,

Looking to upgrade my current GPU ASUS R9 270x DirectCU II TOP 4 GB, I don’t know much about PC and wondering what gpu I can purchase with my current specs. Price ranging from $200-$500 possibly more.

Currently running alongside an Intel i5-6500 3.20 GHz , 8 GB RAM, RM750x psu

So, what would you suggest upgrading to?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 12, 2022
Also forgot to include but I’m only looking to play

GTA V at high settings,

and the motherboard I currently have is a H170 Gaming 3.

RTX 2080

Estimable
I'm assuming you are gaming at 1080p.

Right now, the GPU market is all messed up due to chip shortages and high demand (among other reasons) so pricing and availability are something you'll have to figure out based on what you are able to find.

As far as performance is concerned, if you are aiming for 1080p 60 fps with high settings, I'd say here is approximately what you should look for:

Last-gen parts: GTX 1660 / GTX 1660 Super / RTX 2060
Current-gen parts: RTX 3050Ti / RTX 3060

Keep in mind that your CPU is a bit weak by modern standards and 8 GB of RAM is on the low end, so past a certain amount of GPU power the rest of your build will be holding you back.

Mar 12, 2022
I'm assuming you are gaming at 1080p.

Right now, the GPU market is all messed up due to chip shortages and high demand (among other reasons) so pricing and availability are something you'll have to figure out based on what you are able to find.

As far as performance is concerned, if you are aiming for 1080p 60 fps with high settings, I'd say here is approximately what you should look for:

Last-gen parts: GTX 1660 / GTX 1660 Super / RTX 2060
Current-gen parts: RTX 3050Ti / RTX 3060

Keep in mind that your CPU is a bit weak by modern standards and 8 GB of RAM is on the low end, so past a certain amount of GPU power the rest of your build will be holding you back.
Do you think I should upgrade my CPU and if so what should I upgrade it to?

Yes there is. Even if it is bottlenecked, by the CPU, any current gen RTX/RX card is going to be way faster, than what they have now.
Depends on whether you want to shell out a lot of cash for virtually no more frames but more eye candy. Personally, I wouldn't spend good money on an RTX card to put it on a 4 thread CPU. Unless the OP is planning to upgrade the system to at least an 8 thread CPU in the next half year or so, spending up to 500 dollars on a graphics card is a poor use of money, merely in my opinion of course. The OP is free to do what he/she pleases.

Were I to be in their position and not looking to upgrade the entire system anytime soon, I'd perhaps look to upgrade to a decent second hand card for maybe 200-250 bux. But that also carries the risk of no warranty.

But a current gen RTX card on that system? Not a good use of money, unless of course a system upgrade is planned within a few months. Again, only in my opinion.

logainofhades

Titan
On no planet would an RX 6600 not produce more FPS, and at higher details, than a nearly 9 year old graphics card, that was midrange new, with a Skylake i5. They are only playing GTAV, which also means their CPU is plenty sufficient, as it is a poorly threaded title.

On no planet would an RX 6600 not produce more FPS, and at higher details, than a nearly 9 year old graphics card, that was midrange new, with a Skylake i5. They are only playing GTAV, which also means their CPU is plenty sufficient, as it is a poorly threaded title.
A 6600 is slightly different gravy, you also referred to RTX cards above. But that said, CPU largely determines FPS and 4 thread CPUs just don't cut it anymore. I just don't want the OP to spend quite a bit of cash and see a slight uplift, although you're right that GTA 5 might be different in that regard.

And the fact that they're only playing GTA 5 makes more the case for picking up something second hand as opposed to buying new, but it's the OP's choice what they do.

I wouldn't put more new kit into that system unless it's being upgraded fairly soon, so we'll agree to disagree on that one.

logainofhades

Titan
The RTX 3050 is slower than the RX 6600, but similar in price. That was my only mention of an RTX card. Used doesn't get you a warranty. It is up to the OP to decide whether they feel comfortable overpaying for something, that lacks a warranty. I would rather overpay for a new card, than pay over MSRP for a used one. For example, my RTX 2060 KO sold for $315, and goes for $400+ 2yrs after I bought it. Granted it is better than the $600, it was going for last year. Right now is a terrible time to buy a card, no matter how you look at it, unfortunately.

The RTX 3050 is slower than the RX 6600, but similar in price. That was my only mention of an RTX card. Used doesn't get you a warranty. It is up to the OP to decide whether they feel comfortable overpaying for something, that lacks a warranty. I would rather overpay for a new card, than pay over MSRP for a used one. For example, my RTX 2060 KO sold for $315, and goes for $400+ 2yrs after I bought it. Granted it is better than the $600, it was going for last year. Right now is a terrible time to buy a card, no matter how you look at it, unfortunately.
Yeah, can't disagree with almost all of that, it really is. I think if I was buying used, I'd not pay more than 200 bux and take my chances, obviously buy from a local marketplace and see the thing working first, as well as the person who'd had the card before me and how they generally live, do they look after stuff, etc.

I think the key thing here is what the OP's plans are for the rest of the system over time, that will probably shape the decision they make now.

Well I'd suggest as others have an i7 of any kind compatible with your motherboard and a largeer ram kit. You'll see a performance jump, this sill allow you to buy a new card later.

Otherwise a new i3 11th gen series or better will be a good option. 4cores 8 threads is a basic must for .modern gaming. The 270 4 GB isn't great but you see a boost in fps and you'll be ready for a proper card upgrade and later still a CPU upgrade later on.

This is likely to be the best option.

ASK THE COMMUNITY