Upgrading Graphics and PSU on Dell XPS 8500

Stephanie M

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I have a Dell XPS 8500. I want to upgrade it with the following parts:

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Graphics: GIGABYTE GV-N770OC-2GD GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

I have read different reviews. First question, will that giant video card fit in my PC?
Will the PSU fit in the dell box allocated for the PSU?

Will the bios reject the graphics? I have read firmware updates can fix that, but I have also read there will be no issues as long as I get a PCI 3.0 card.

Eventually I am going to just build my own, and use these parts in that one, but for now I need to beef up my PC

This card indeed a giant for your PC it is 10.47 inches long, however up to 12 inches will fit, but the card will go under hard drive cage (the only thing I don't like is the upper part of the card where it says WindForce), so you can have only one hard drive, the upper one (maybe lower one can fit as well, but not sure). Also, you would have to buy new SATA cable as the existing one is too short to go over the card.

Power supply is standard, just be sure to match or exceed number of SATA connectors.

Regarding compatibility, XPS 8500 had problems in the past with GTX680, would it be with GTX770 I have no idea, but I seen confirmations of compatibility.