Upgrading graphics card and PSU

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I'm going to be upgrading my graphics card and PSU in a couple days. I'm replacing my R9 270x to an R9 290 and my 500w PSU to a 750w PSU.

What procedure should I follow to ensure that the transition goes smoothly and safely?

Solution
You shouldn't have any problems just swapping them out. If you have latest drivers, you shouldn't have to worry about them either. Depending on how you cable management is now, just watch for snagging of connectors when you take the PSU out. Always, when installing components/cards, make sure that you have grounded yourself to the case to eliminate electrostatic discharge. Working on PCs is best done on hardwood floors, ceramic tile floors, or concrete. There is little to no static buildup from these surfaces, so the kitchen table usually is the best place to work on them.

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
You shouldn't have any problems just swapping them out. If you have latest drivers, you shouldn't have to worry about them either. Depending on how you cable management is now, just watch for snagging of connectors when you take the PSU out. Always, when installing components/cards, make sure that you have grounded yourself to the case to eliminate electrostatic discharge. Working on PCs is best done on hardwood floors, ceramic tile floors, or concrete. There is little to no static buildup from these surfaces, so the kitchen table usually is the best place to work on them.

Solution

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Okay, cool! Thanks for the tips :)

LimitedWard

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

After consulting with other forum members on a previous thread, they all concluded I should be getting an EVGA Supernova 750 G2.