Upgrading graphics card in 32bit xp system

rbens1

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I was reading somewhere in these forums that the graphics card memory will count towards the 3.5 gig maximum RAM useable limit on Windows XP 32 Bit OS (i.e. if you have a 1 gig video card, you only have 2.5 g useable RAM for the system, so purchasing any extra RAM over 2.5 gig would just be a waste of money). However, local IT people have told me that the video memory only counts towards the max RAM limit if the video capability is intergrated with the motherboard (i.e. a separately purchased video card with its own memory of 1 or 2 gig would not take away from the system's useable ram, so you could get you 3.5 gig ram and a 2 gig video card to significantly enhance system performance).

So, what is the truth?

Thanks, in advance for your thoughts.

Solution
Hopefully I can explain this correctly. Both are true. A discrete memory card has it memory mapped over to a portion of the address space where as an integrated card uses system memory once the discrete card's ram is fully used. In either case, some of your ram may become unusable.
Hopefully I can explain this correctly. Both are true. A discrete memory card has it memory mapped over to a portion of the address space where as an integrated card uses system memory once the discrete card's ram is fully used. In either case, some of your ram may become unusable.

Solution
Just one minor correction: Most video cards only map a 256MB window into their card memory and the video driver handles moving this window around to access all card memory. This is done specifically to reduce the amount of memory mapped when used with a 32-bit OS.

I love to keep up with video hardware advances. In a past life I wrote some Linear Frame Buffer code for DOS graphics libraries, and even wrote a Cirrus Logic CL54XX series driver for a game. Yes, that was the life, blissfully working with interrupts, IO port addresses, and 64K memory frames. . .

harryblue954

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
the card has it own MHz that usually all it take u can put in 4GB ram on that system ;)