Upgrading graphics card on Dell Inspiron DELL i3847

Floyd_1

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Solution
Oh, if you are getting it used for $100, then it might make a decent gamer with a little work. But changing out the case or motherboard on a proprietary PC like the Dell can be problematic. Most Dells use proprietary connectors and headers for fast assembly on the line. Retail boards & cases don't usually mix well with proprietary designs.

The CPU that's in there will be great for gaming as-is. Heat may be an issue with a case like that, true. But the R9-380 should still be do-able with the exhaust fan and PSU fan pulling heat out of the case. The cooler-running GTX 960 is another alternative.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Sure, with a high quality 550W PSU or bigger. But if you are buying the Dell new at that price ($640) plus the gfx card plus a new PSU, I would have to say it isn't worth it. You can build a heck of a nice gaming PC for $640 including the gfx card.
Or if you aren't a builder, you can always look into one of the gaming computer boutiques like...
Cyberpower: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/gaming-pcs/
or
iBuypower: http://www.ibuypower.com/

They use retail parts so there's no issues later with upgrading.

Floyd_1

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Yeah buying for that price is definitely not worth it. A friend of mine will sell it to me for 100 but I know the gpu sucks. So if i can upgrade the graphics to the r9 380, get a better psu.. I'll have a decent gaming computer. Idk about changing the case.. But I imagine the airflow restrictions may cause over heating.. Idk. Never actually built a pc. Just have random theories and knowledge from the Web.

Thanks for the reply

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, if you are getting it used for $100, then it might make a decent gamer with a little work. But changing out the case or motherboard on a proprietary PC like the Dell can be problematic. Most Dells use proprietary connectors and headers for fast assembly on the line. Retail boards & cases don't usually mix well with proprietary designs.

The CPU that's in there will be great for gaming as-is. Heat may be an issue with a case like that, true. But the R9-380 should still be do-able with the exhaust fan and PSU fan pulling heat out of the case. The cooler-running GTX 960 is another alternative.

Solution