[SOLVED] Upgrading graphics card on Dell XPS 8900

Aug 5, 2020
Hello,

I’m in the market for a graphics card for my desktop it’s an XPS 8900 i7-6700 3.4GHZ 16GB RAM. I was interested in the GeForce RTX 2060. My goal is to play AAA titles at 1440p with decent frame rate

I’m worried about over heating as the xps does haven’t much fan or vents. I know I definitely have to upgrade power supply.

Will this card work/fit?

Better alternative?

Thank you! ❤

Last edited:
Solution
if i were you i would do this.
I had a lenovo thinkcentre 72 edge and i replaced the gpu,psu and the case.
I bought a r9 380 which is a powerhungry card so i had to replace the psu.It was all packed in that small case so i had overheating problems and it just looked ugly.I bought a case which is a mid-tower with 3x120mm fans at the front and a place in the back for 80mm fan.I took all the components and put them in that case and it looked nicer,the temps have been amazing (literally never passing 60C both on gpu and cpu while gaming) and i even overclocked the card.So yeah if i were you i would replace the case,psu and the gpu.For the gpu i would wait for the new rtx series and see how the prices are for the low end rtx 30xx series...
if i were you i would do this.
I had a lenovo thinkcentre 72 edge and i replaced the gpu,psu and the case.
I bought a r9 380 which is a powerhungry card so i had to replace the psu.It was all packed in that small case so i had overheating problems and it just looked ugly.I bought a case which is a mid-tower with 3x120mm fans at the front and a place in the back for 80mm fan.I took all the components and put them in that case and it looked nicer,the temps have been amazing (literally never passing 60C both on gpu and cpu while gaming) and i even overclocked the card.So yeah if i were you i would replace the case,psu and the gpu.For the gpu i would wait for the new rtx series and see how the prices are for the low end rtx 30xx series cards.
Edit:It might not look the best,but it will sure be much better than that crappy case with literally no airflow.You can get psu slevee extension cables and it will look much nicer,they are 20$ dollars so they are pretty affordable.Also you might want to replace that cpu cooler,since its probably loud and i just fell like you should cheap out on the cpu cooler.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS