Question Upgrading graphics card: options and considerations

foxtrot_isley

Commendable
May 3, 2019
Hello all!

I've been wanting to upgrade my nearly 5-year old system's graphics card (an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960) for a little while, but was not sure what to go with. After consulting friends and co-workers, I decided to settle on either a GTX 1070 or a GTX 1660 Ti.

However, before I can even go for it, I understand there are some things I need to consider, such as:
  • Will it physically fit?
  • Do I need to upgrade the PSU?
  • Will it be compatible with my motherboard's chipset (or whatever)?

These things, and I'm sure others, are what I'm not entirely sure on. I've reached out to my PC's manufacturer, hopefully to get some insight, but unfortunately, they weren't much help.

So I turn to you good folk, in hopes that your knowledge and expertise can guide me, or give me a good starting point.

Current Specs:
Motherboard: ASUSTeK G20AJ-B11 (socket 1150 LGA)
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz (Haswell 22nm Tech)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (2047 MB)
Memory: 16 GB DDR3
Power: External power adapter

This site helps break down additional info and is exactly what I have (or at least pretty darn close) -> https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rog-g20aj-b11-sff-core-i7-4790-3-6-ghz-16-gb-2-tb/

If there's anything I've left out, please let me know, and I'll do my best to find out.

Thank you all for your help, and for any suggestions you have!

Power: External power adapter

So is that an adapter, not an actual power supply unit ? What's the Wattage value ? Does it come with any PCI-e cables ? I think you might need an upgrade of your power supply, should you plan to buy the GTX 1070/1660Ti.

Your other PC specs are pretty much fine, and assuming your current MOBO has one vacant PCI-express x16 slot, then you can use any GPU on this system. But I think you might be needing a bigger ATX cabinet/chassis. For the PSU I'm not fully sure about that adapter.

Last edited:

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
GTX 1070s are out of stock I think so if you find one cheap second hand, you could go for it. But 1660 Ti new is the best 1080p GPU right now, and performs pretty much like the 1070. And if you have the extra $50, RTX 2060 is pretty much a 1660 Ti with DXR and a 20-30% performance boost. You didn't mention your PSU but if it's a 500W or above with a minimum of 80+ bronze and a decent brand, you are good to know. Your CPU, mobo chipset etc are fine, as the the GTX 960 and all the gpus from this decade use the pcie x16 slot.

foxtrot_isley

Commendable
May 3, 2019
So is that an adapter, not an actual power supply unit ? What's the Wattage value ? Does it come with any PCI-e cables ? I think you might need an upgrade of your power supply, should you plan to buy the GTX 1070/1660Ti.

Your other PC specs are pretty much fine, and assuming your current MOBO has one vacant PCI-express x16 slot, then you can use any GPU on this system. But I think you might be needing a bigger ATX cabinet/chassis. For the PSU I'm not fully sure about that adapter.

Yeah, I’m not too certain on the PSU, honestly. I’m afraid I may have to open up the chassis just to see. I’m also not too sure on the wattage, but maybe it’ll tell me on the unit itself (if I can accurately locate and I identify it).

Instead of just a normal power cord, it’s got a hefty power brick, that uses dual power cables. When ASUS made these ROG types, I guess they didn’t really want to leave any room for future upgrades/modifications.

foxtrot_isley

Commendable
May 3, 2019
GTX 1070s are out of stock I think so if you find one cheap second hand, you could go for it. But 1660 Ti new is the best 1080p GPU right now, and performs pretty much like the 1070. And if you have the extra $50, RTX 2060 is pretty much a 1660 Ti with DXR and a 20-30% performance boost. You didn't mention your PSU but if it's a 500W or above with a minimum of 80+ bronze and a decent brand, you are good to know. Your CPU, mobo chipset etc are fine, as the the GTX 960 and all the gpus from this decade use the pcie x16 slot.

It would be nice to get an RTX 2060, but because the chassis is tight, and the innards are compacted, I’m concerned about what card sizes will fit. I don’t know exact dimensions, and ASUS wouldn’t touch my questions with a 10-foot pole. Like my uncertainty on the PSU, I may have to crack open the chassis just to see. I wish those programs like Speccy and such listed such information.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
It would be nice to get an RTX 2060, but because the chassis is tight, and the innards are compacted, I’m concerned about what card sizes will fit. I don’t know exact dimensions, and ASUS wouldn’t touch my questions with a 10-foot pole. Like my uncertainty on the PSU, I may have to crack open the chassis just to see. I wish those programs like Speccy and such listed such information.
Okay looked up a bit on the ROG G20AJ compact PC. It's basically a hybrid laptop and desktop and quite compact. However, standard 2 slot cards should fit in there. Like if you get the RTX 2060 or 1660 Ti Asus Phoenix, MSI Aero ITX, Gigabyte Mini ITX, Galax Mini etc versions, they should should fit right in easily, them being single fan cards. They are pretty much the size of your existing GTX 960 or even smaller. As for PSU, it uses a single 230W power adapter, and there's an extra 180W to use if a GPU needs 2 PICe power slots. So I think you are good to go. The GTX 1660 Ti has the same TDP as the GTX 960 so I think that is more of an ideal card for you. However the RTX 2060 should be fine too I suppose. There are some tutorials on youtube on how to replace or upgrade the G20J graphics card. I saw one bloke putting in a blower 1070 inside.

Here's a Gigabyte Mini ITX 1660 Ti, very cute.

r5ZdLoB.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

foxtrot_isley

Commendable
May 3, 2019
This is per
Okay looked up a bit on the ROG G20AJ compact PC. It's basically a hybrid laptop and desktop and quite compact. However, standard 2 slot cards should fit in there. Like if you get the RTX 2060 or 1660 Ti Asus Phoenix, MSI Aero ITX, Gigabyte Mini ITX, Galax Mini etc versions, they should should fit right in easily, them being single fan cards. They are pretty much the size of your existing GTX 960 or even smaller. As for PSU, it uses a single 230W power adapter, and there's an extra 180W to use if a GPU needs 2 PICe power slots. So I think you are good to go. The GTX 1660 Ti has the same TDP as the GTX 960 so I think that is more of an ideal card for you. However the RTX 2060 should be fine too I suppose. There are some tutorials on youtube on how to replace or upgrade the G20J graphics card. I saw one bloke putting in a blower 1070 inside.

Here's a Gigabyte Mini ITX 1660 Ti, very cute.

r5ZdLoB.jpg

This is fantastic! Thank you so much - I really appreciate everyone’s help! Crossing fingers that all goes well!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.