[SOLVED] Upgrading Graphics Card Please Help

djosephm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Will I get any benefit of upgrading graphics card to RX 570 or is the rest of my computer too old to see any benefits? Was thinking of getting a Radeon RX 570 8GB 256bit DDR5. Seems like a hefty upgrade without breaking the bank.

I am preparing for WoW Classic.

My current system is:

Graphics: ASUS EAH5770 CUCore/2DI/1GD5
Windows 7 64 bit
XFX 650 Watt Power Supply
Asus CM1630 Computer
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 830 2.8ghz
Memory: 6144MB RAM

Solution
Your old phenom will severely hold back a RX570 at 1080p or below, but it will be better than an onboard GPU.

Really a Phenom 830 isn't capable of running demanding modern games well regardless of GPU.

djosephm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I think YES, it is worth upgrading to the RX 570. Coming from a 5770 GPU, you will surely benefit from this card. But your current CPU might hold back the RX 570.

Have you considered some other GPU instead of the RX 570 ?

I have considered other gpu's, I have just glanced at them but after doing a quick cost benefit analysis I could pick up an RX 750 for about $150, I am wondering if the CPU will allow me to see any benefit.

I also see that I could upgrade to 16 gigs of ram for cheap, currently I am running 6 gigs. Would this effectively max out my computer?

If it were your computer and you didn't really want to switch out CPU would this be a good option to max out graphics capabilities and memory by adding RX 570 and upgrading RAM to 16 gigs or will I not see much benefit from CPU.

I am not looking to play any new hardcore games I am really wanting to maximize what I currently have for cheap because Wow classic is coming and it got me looking into it.

djosephm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
You will see a massive benefit, but your CPU will cause some issues in some games. A lot of esports titles will play nicely on the combo.

An upgrade to 8 or 16gb ram will help aswell. 6gb will be maxed out in some games today.

I’m thinking of now replacing the CPU with an AMD Phenom II x6 3200MHZ 1090T along with maxing the RAM out at 16 gig and the RX 570 graphics card. For the CPU for this motherboard is this pretty well the best CPU I can get that the mobo will handle?

djosephm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Just don't expect to play apex legends on that setup.
Sounds good I don’t really play too many games but am starting wow classic back up... and this should be good for video editing!! Don’t see a reason not to do the CPU, RAM, and GPU for the money, way cheaper than buying new computer! Thanks for the help and input!!!

RLarcosPES2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2014
I’m thinking of now replacing the CPU with an AMD Phenom II x6 3200MHZ 1090T along with maxing the RAM out at 16 gig and the RX 570 graphics card. For the CPU for this motherboard is this pretty well the best CPU I can get that the mobo will handle?

That's actually a pretty sweet system. Go for it if you have the cash and is cheap(because if this whole thing costs like 300-400 $ it is not at all worth it 'cause you can get a much faster budget rig nowadays)

If you video edit a lot even a first gen Ryzen will be a massive upgrade and they go for very cheap too. Along with their motherboards. I am a fan of upgrading every decade and I think it is time for you...

djosephm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Now I am having a problem I have the GPU installed, downloaded driver package from AMD but the card is not working with correct resolution the Radeon software installs but something isn’t right. Is the motherboard too old to work?

djosephm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
HOT DAMN I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! The sapphire rx 570 has a little switch on the card itself to boot from an alternate bios apparently. I have an old mobo and it’s non uefi so From reading other threads I found this....

As far as I know, it's so that you can use the card with legacy mobo's that don't have a modern UEFI Bios. Mostly mobo's that from 2009-2013 period when the switch to UEFI on both the motherboard and cards happened.

here: http://www.sapphiretech.com/catapage_pd.asp?cataid=150&lang=eng

Saphire are one of the only companies to do it.