upgrading graphics card

just_dave

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I have a gtx 1050ti and I just recently bought a gtx1070 ti. do I have to uninstall drivers? I have the latest nvidia drivers installed already and both graphics card use the sane driver so id assume I just have to swap out the cards and id be good to go

Solution
Since you are swapping from the same generation series, you likely will be fine. But like volkgren said, I always just start with wiped out drivers and a fresh install direct from Nvidia to fool proof any rare problems that might arise at the worst time (like during gaming and getting a "Display driver error, application stopped" crash notification). Yes, it happened to me when I just swapped out a GTX 680 for a 970 and kept the same drivers. Worked fine for a while then crashed in a game. Even though those were different GPU generations and yours are in the same generation, I'd still start fresh.
Since you are swapping from the same generation series, you likely will be fine. But like volkgren said, I always just start with wiped out drivers and a fresh install direct from Nvidia to fool proof any rare problems that might arise at the worst time (like during gaming and getting a "Display driver error, application stopped" crash notification). Yes, it happened to me when I just swapped out a GTX 680 for a 970 and kept the same drivers. Worked fine for a while then crashed in a game. Even though those were different GPU generations and yours are in the same generation, I'd still start fresh.

Solution