Upgrading GTX 970 ~$400 Budget

tataunka346

Commendable
Jul 25, 2018
So I've been neglecting to upgrade anything in my PC for a while now, but with my cooler finally going out on me I'm being forced to take a look, and since I'm replacing that I figured now is as good a time as any to start looking at other stuff to replace. Pretty much anything would be an upgrade at this point, but I'd like to make the best choice possible in terms of both price range and how long the card will remain viable for gaming. I'm relatively computer illiterate in comparison to most PC gamers, and since y'all here on this forum helped me build the rig in the first place I figured you would be the best to help me decide on upgrades. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I neglected to mention that I am flexible on the price range. While I'd like to remain below or around $400 I'm not opposed to suggestions outside that range if the jump isn't too much, and if the value I'd get is much higher.

Solution
Normally when you upgrade a GPU you want something that is two stages higher, for a 970 GTX a 1070 TI and 1080 "Used $380-$425"both fit in your budget. The issue I see here is you have a entirely new set of cards launching very soon and current gen cards are still not at MSRP so if possible waiting a few months might net you a better deal on a stronger card.
IF you are on GTX960, 970 and 980 or even 980Ti, I would wait until GTX11xx is available on the market.
Those new GPUs should be available this year.

BTW,
970 is very close to 1060 6GB. This means, you can only look to at least 1070 (980Ti is about near to 1070).

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Normally when you upgrade a GPU you want something that is two stages higher, for a 970 GTX a 1070 TI and 1080 "Used $380-$425"both fit in your budget. The issue I see here is you have a entirely new set of cards launching very soon and current gen cards are still not at MSRP so if possible waiting a few months might net you a better deal on a stronger card.

Solution