[SOLVED] Upgrading gtx 970 with gtx 1080 worth it with my system ?

bulsoldier

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2012
Hello everyone.

I am in a bit of a tight spot. I currently run the following system:
  • i5 4590 3.3GHz
  • gtx 970
  • 2x4gb ram 1833mhz

everything else is irrelevant i think to the question. I have a crappy mb due to reasons so I cant really expand and apart from (may be) change the gpu cant really upgrade much else without pretty much changing 80% of the whole system.

Anyway, my question is the following:

I have found gtx 1080 MSI (dual fans) used gpu for sale for about 300euros, that seems to much to me. I wonder if 250euro is worth it for it and more importantly , will my cpu be good enough to handle the gpu without bottlenecking it (I have 1080p 60hz display)?

So there.

Best regards

bulsoldier

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2012
I certainly can but it is about 50eu more expensive and slower than 1080. Is it a better choice than it?

Also if you could provide some justification I would be grateful.

Aug 4, 2019
With a 1080p 60hz display you really dont need much of anything, why upgrade in the first place?

Instead of getting the used 1080, go buy a 1660 super instead, super good value, the you wont have problems with performance ever.

XDD. I think I 'd just get the 1080. No justification and selg-punishment are needed too much.
But ofc, if it is used, you have to ask the guy for some test like novabench with averages comparison, to make urself sure it hasn' been exhausted for mining, damaged, overheated, etc. And if it's all OK, just go, save the 50 dollars or other money for something else.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
First off i would not recommend even looking for the next 2 weeks or so, new announcements are going to be made about the new generation of graphics cards from nvidia and when they do prices will start to drop across the board, my advice would be to wait a bit until this price drop trickles down to you before buying anything, furthermore a 4 core 4 thread cpu will not be able to pump out the frame rate you want, i'd recommend sticking to older games and i would say save your money, that amount could get you a new system pretty soon and that would be the deal for you but good luck with it