Upgrading hardware and software, keeping files.

Tim_121

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Going to be upgrading from a budget Intel build to a better, AMD build over Christmas. Upgrading my CPU and MoBo, using old GPU, PSU, SSD, HDD, and RAM. Also going to be switching from Win 7 to Win 10. Right now Windows and most of my games and files are on my SSD, some on my HDD. I need to keep all my files and games (would take weeks to re download with my wifi), but I've only ever done fresh installs of windows from media. Not sure how to proceed...

Solution
Unless you have an old Core 2 Duo or first gen Core i system, you are would be better off upgrading the CPU instead of buying an AMD CPU, unless you are talking about the brand new AMD CPUs.

If you swap motherboard, you need to do a clean Windows setup and re-install your programs. If you have Steam you can copy the Steam folder to the new build to prevent having to download everything. You can find info on that on Steam support site.
Unless you have an old Core 2 Duo or first gen Core i system, you are would be better off upgrading the CPU instead of buying an AMD CPU, unless you are talking about the brand new AMD CPUs.

If you swap motherboard, you need to do a clean Windows setup and re-install your programs. If you have Steam you can copy the Steam folder to the new build to prevent having to download everything. You can find info on that on Steam support site.

Solution