Upgrading hardware and windows, HELP!

Danny Holmes

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
I recently purchased, before realizing that id have to purchase a new version of windows, a new motherboard. I also purchased a western digital caviar black, as my old hard drive is ancient. I want a fresh install of windows on my new hdd, but i am aware that to use the windows 7 oem i have currently i would have to keep my old (really outdated) motherboard. As i will have to repurchase windows, i was looking at windows 8, and the upgrade version is significantly cheaper than the full version, See Here. I was wondering whether i could hook up the new hdd with the old mobo, install windows 7 then upgrade to windows 8 and upgrade to new mobo. Is this possible/advisable, or do you another solution. Apologies, I am reasonably new to this.

animal

Distinguished
Sorry, there is probably no way for you to avoid buying a new copy of an OS. OEM versions of Windows are tied to/locked-in with the motherboard present when originally installed. In some cases, Microsoft will allow you to change motherboards and re-install the original, but this is usually only if it's a irect replacement of the same or an equivalent motherboard. If you have gone from a P67 mobo to a Z77 or from an AM3 to an FM2, it is highly unlikely they will allow you to transfer the original license/OS.

Danny Holmes

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

Thanks for the reply, but i am aware of this, i was wondering whether updating to windows 8 with the link above would allow me to change mobo then, im not sure whether the link would give me a full copy, or whether it would still be oem. Also the oem agreement is different with windows 8 isn't it?
If that link is not provide me with license i can use on the new motherboard, then could you please send me a link that would.

You can't upgrade based on an older OEM license.

As far as I can see, Win8, aside from being a piece of crap, has a new licensing scheme. All the "full" versions, which can be installed on bare hardware, are essentially OEM. They've removed the "full" version idea, which could be moved from machine to machine as you build new hardware.

See if these are informative:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/3889-73-windows-system-builder
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/index.aspx