Upgrading HDD to SSD + RAM for ixtreme m3720

Joshx

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
I've been contemplating upgrading my default HDD to a SSD for a while but was unsure about how much use it would do on my system but with my HDD starting to fail, I think it's as good of a time as any.

My issue is that I relatively new to replacing hardware and checking the compatibility of the parts before going ahead and doing it.

I'm sporting an ixtreme m3720 (with default parts minus an upgraded PSU and GFX Card ) which wasn't a very good call on my part due to the issues I've had with it before (PSU dieing, video card being horrific, poor cooling etc) but I can't seem to find any information on how compatible it would be.

I've been looking at this (Samsung 840, 120gb) drive but I'm not too sure if I would get any benefits out of it (Sata ii+ compatibility) or if I could even run it with my system because the motherboard doesn't seem to be too good.

I was thinking of that drive because it comes with a 2.5/3.5 mount which I'll need, plus it's a very recognizable brand with not bad speeds.

Does anybody have any advice or input on this?

I've also been looking to upgrade the RAM for a while now but I was told when buying it years ago that 4GB was/is the max, but it was by a salesman who didn't seem to be too interested in my questions so I was wondering if I could extend the amount of memory or does it cap at 4GB?

Thanks a lot.

From what I have read you can upgrade to 8GB of RAM. Anything above 4GB is pretty much useless on a 32 bit OS so before upgrading to 8GB of RAM you should make sure you have a 64 bit version of Windows. Do you know the model of the motherboard in that machine? Might want to check to be sure it supports more than 4GB of RAM. I am using an SSD as the boot drive on an older computer and I can tell a difference in boot time and the time it takes for applications to load vs. when I was using a 7200 RPM HDD. If your motherboard supports SATA drives then you should be able to use the Samsung SSD (just ordered one of those myself and waiting for it to arrive).