[SOLVED] Upgrading help

Dec 16, 2019
Currently have an older set up and need help upgrading, am open to advice or suggestions. I unfortunately don't know anything about PC's but I have recently been looking at the rx 580 8gb or the rx 5500xt 8gb. Want something that can hold MW at maybe high settings? Only wanting to upgrade the GPU right now and slowly upgrade a part ata time from there. Currently playing on the lowest and its not very enjoyable to be honest. Current set up is;

GTX 670
I7 3770k @ 3.5ghz
maximus v gene mobo
16gb ram
750w psu
2tb harddrive

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Well if you're getting a new CPU, you'll need a new motherboard to go with it and you'll need DDR4 RAM for your new motherboard, so you'll need to budget for that.

AMD CPUs are popular these days for their high core/thread counts and value pricing, but Intel CPUs are best for high clock speeds (both single and all-core) which makes them better suited for high fps games like MW.

As far as GPUs in that price range go, you're probably looking at a GTX 1660 super, maybe an RTX 2060 if you can find a good deal on it. I have a 2060 KO and I used to play a little MW on in conjunction with a 1080p G-sync monitor: I got roughly 80-110 fps with it on ultra settings.

You could replicate my performance with a 2060 and your current CPU, but...
Dec 16, 2019
Currently have an older set up and need help upgrading, am open to advice or suggestions. I unfortunately don't know anything about PC's but I have recently been looking at the rx 580 8gb or the rx 5500xt 8gb. Want something that can hold MW at maybe high settings? Only wanting to upgrade the GPU right now and slowly upgrade a part ata time from there. Currently playing on the lowest and its not very enjoyable to be honest. Current set up is;

GTX 670

I7 3770k @ 3.5ghz

maximus v gene mobo

16gb ram

650w psu

2tb harddrive

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, 1080p 60-144hz if reasonable because I'm willing to upgrade my monitor

Well COD MW is pretty CPU intensive, particularly at high fps, so you'll never see 144 fps irregardless of what GPU you get due to the relatively low core count / low clock speeds of your CPU.

However, seeing the kind of GPU you are currently using, you can make a serious improvement even with a relatively inexpensive modern GPU.

What is your budget?

Reactions: calebo
Dec 16, 2019
I'd say around 400AUD (roughly 300USD). I will most likely be purchasing a CPU within the next month if that helps which I'll probably spend the same one and then eventually everything else.

Well if you're getting a new CPU, you'll need a new motherboard to go with it and you'll need DDR4 RAM for your new motherboard, so you'll need to budget for that.

AMD CPUs are popular these days for their high core/thread counts and value pricing, but Intel CPUs are best for high clock speeds (both single and all-core) which makes them better suited for high fps games like MW.

As far as GPUs in that price range go, you're probably looking at a GTX 1660 super, maybe an RTX 2060 if you can find a good deal on it. I have a 2060 KO and I used to play a little MW on in conjunction with a 1080p G-sync monitor: I got roughly 80-110 fps with it on ultra settings.

You could replicate my performance with a 2060 and your current CPU, but lowering settings for higher fps will probably start bottlenecking your CPU.

The 1660 super could give you similar fps if you dropped settings further. It'll be a trade-off between eye candy vs fps. Obviously, the more powerful GPU you can afford, the less of a tradeoff you'll have to make.

If it were me personally, I'd put off the new CPU and motherboard for the time being and get a 2060 super and a good variable refresh rate 1080p monitor to go with it. I think that'll give you the biggest improvement per $ right now. If you want higher fps and quicker load times down the road, then you can upgrade your motherboard, CPU, RAM, drive, all that good stuff. Just a 1660 super by itself will still make a huge difference though.

Solution