[SOLVED] Upgrading... How to get everything back onto my SSD

dcook22

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Hey folks,

I am sure this is not too difficult to do, but I want to make sure I do it right.

I am upgrading my mobo, CPU and RAM to get better performance. I won't be gaming nearly as much as I would like with this rig... I will be editing/rendring video and working with photoshop more than anything else.

SO here' my question:

I have Windows 10 installed on my SSD along with several programs like Adobe creative Cloud and Office 365... Not a ton of stuff.

I suppose I could clone the hard drive and resintall that after the build but I would like to avoid any hiccups that come with that process when such important components get switched.

And I don't usually worry about files and/or forgetting to install anything because I usually upgrade the HDD and make the old one an extra drive in the rig, so I can always check that later if I need to drag something over.

but this time I am going to reformat the HDD and do a clean install..

So... What tips do you all have for keeping my files and information so i can put them back on the reformatted disk?

I SUCK at organization, so any tips/tricks/hacks for making it a smooth transition would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
"I am upgrading my mobo, CPU and RAM to get better performance. "

For this, a full fresh install is strongly recommended, usually required.
Of course, this means all your applications as well.

There is no magic bullet.

For your personal data, you just have to deep dive and find all of it.
Copy it to some other storage device, and have that offline.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Then:

USAFRet

Titan
"I am upgrading my mobo, CPU and RAM to get better performance. "

For this, a full fresh install is strongly recommended, usually required.
Of course, this means all your applications as well.

There is no magic bullet.

For your personal data, you just have to deep dive and find all of it.
Copy it to some other storage device, and have that offline.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Then:

Solution