[SOLVED] Upgrading i7-4790K to Ryzen 5 1600X is worth it ?

OfficeMatti

Commendable
Sep 7, 2019
Hello everyone!
Headline pretty much says everything, so is it worth to change i7-4790K to Ryzen 5 1600X? Im doing a deal with a friend, exchanging CPUs, MOBOs and RAMs. So im giving i7-4790K, MSI PC Mate Z97 and 4 x 4GB RipjawsX and he gives me Ryzen 5 1600X, Asus ROG Strix B350-f and 2 x 8GB HyperX fury. I know that i7 beats Ryzen on singlecore, dualcore, quadcore performance etc. but is it possible to get more power out of Ryzen by overclocking it?
Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
The ryzen x processors are already binned and you should expect no upgrade via overclocking.
OTOH, I7-4790K on a Z97 motherboard has a good chance of overclocking by some 20%.

The only reason to do such a trade is if you are running batch applications that can actually keep the 12 threads busy.
If you are a gamer, 8 threads of the 4790K is more than most games can effectively use and the better single thread performance will do better in games.
The ryzen x processors are already binned and you should expect no upgrade via overclocking.
OTOH, I7-4790K on a Z97 motherboard has a good chance of overclocking by some 20%.

The only reason to do such a trade is if you are running batch applications that can actually keep the 12 threads busy.
If you are a gamer, 8 threads of the 4790K is more than most games can effectively use and the better single thread performance will do better in games.

Reactions: TommyTwoTone66
Solution