Upgrading I8000: is cpu upgrade possible?

I forgot to ask this in my last posting; after a hall-way conversation,
I'll ask it now.

Is it possible to upgrade the cpu in an I8000 laptop? The current
processor in
mine is a PIII-800. I'm not sure if Dell has a proprietary cpu card or if
the
processor is actually soldered into the motherboard.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

<Bob_Myers@raytheon.com> wrote
>I forgot to ask this in my last posting; after a hall-way conversation,
> I'll ask it now.
>
> Is it possible to upgrade the cpu in an I8000 laptop? The current
> processor in
> mine is a PIII-800. I'm not sure if Dell has a proprietary cpu card or if
> the
> processor is actually soldered into the motherboard.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I have an Inspiron 8000 1Ghz as well but I do not think upgrading the
CPU is possible because of several reasons:

- Much higher speed CPU requires different chipset (motherboard) e.g. you
can not upgrade to 2.1Ghz with P3 because P3 is up to something like
1.2Ghz or something alike. Hence paying a new CPU for increasing only
few hundred Mhz is not really worth.

- Higher speed of CPU may also requires different coolers,
better/faster/more
expensive ones, so is very unlikely you can take one CPU away put a
faster one and everything works as before ...

I was also facing the same problem as you, and my conclusion was, sell
old and buy new one ... so I am selling mine right now. Anyway I have bought
a real high end Workstation Precision 670 and don't use my Inspiron 8000
anymore.

HTH,
Best Regards,
Giovanni